Chapter 4

"I...I don't understand." Luke said. He looked so hurt as I wiped my mouth. Just then, I heard the garage door open.

"Luke, please. You have to leave. I can't explain now." I tugged his sleeve and pushed him out the back door. "Run" I mouthed. He was a bit concerned, but he nodded before running off into the direction of his house. I sighed and quickly tried to put away the medicine.

Mum walked in. "Hello, babe. What did you want to eat for di-" she stopped, eyeing something on the table. "Did you cut yourself, Reina?" she asked. I swung around. The bloody rag lie on the table in front of her.

"Oh. Yes, I did. Slipped while I was school today. You know how clumsy I am." I laughed nervously. She looked me the eye. I yawned so that I could close my eyes and she couldn't tell I was lying. I never lied to Mum.

"Alright, well get it off the table and wash your hands. We don't need your blood everywhere." she exaggerated. I nodded and cleared my throat before picking up the wash rag and tossing it in the hamper. I washed my hands as I was told and slipped out of the kitchen.

"Reina, won't you help me cook? I feel like we've grown apart these past few days. Are you feeling ok?" she asked. I sighed and walked back into the kitchen. She felt my head.

"Yes, mum. I feel fine. I guess I'm just tired...that's all." I got out some pasta and boiled some water. We didn't talk much as we made the meal. She was right. We had grown apart. Was it because of Luke? Maybe the guilt of my feelings for him, made me unable to be around her.

We ate and talked a little bit about school and how my classes were going. I got so scared at times when I thought she'd mention Luke.

"That boy next door." she began. I felt my cheeks turn hot and I coughed a bit. "Does he go to your school?" All I did was nod.

"Is he in any of your classes?" she asked. What was she trying to find out?

"Just math." I said. She nodded as if to aprove of how much we actually saw each other. Yeah, mum. That boy next door that you dislike so much came in your house and that's who's blood was really on the rag. And Oh yeah! He just kissed your daughter. I shook my head at my own thoughts.

"Alright, well. I'm going to bed early. It was a long day today. Can you take care of the dishes for me, sweet?" she asked.

"Yeah, go ahead." I could be alone to proccess what had happened...or was it still happening? She got up and kissed my head before heading upstairs. My head hit the wall behind with a thud as I exhaled.

I got up and started washing the dishes, zoning out of what my hands were doing. Did I like the kiss? Did I want to kiss him again? Did this mean that Luke liked me? Would things be different now?

Suddenly, I am interupted from my thoughts when there is a slight tapping on the back door. I look out the window to see a figure in the dark. I gasp lightly and open the door just a crack.

"Reina, I need to talk to you." the deep voice says. It's Luke. I slip outside.

"Come with me." he says. I glance back at the house through the window.

"Ok...but, we have to stay quiet. My mum's just gone to bed." I whisper. He nods and leads me to his back yard. A rope hangs down from the balcony. "My parents aren't home yet. Traffic is bad and I told them that I didn't feel well and that I was going to sleep, so that they wouldn't see the bruises." he says.

"You're here alone?" I ask. The answer was obvious, I just didn't know how to respond.

"Yeah, come here. Let me help you up." he reaches for me.