Chapter 39

Luke's P.O.V

I know I shouldn't have let her walk away. I should have gone after her. 

But I didn't.

She was better off without me, and if that meant hurting her temporarily until she realized she could be happier without me, then that was the way it was going to be. If she stayed back with me, I'd just mess up her life even more. I knew deep down that I would carry the burden for the rest of my life, knowing I was the father of a child, but pretending I wasn't. I would never forget Reina's face when I told that we were both better off if we just ended things. 

That was a few weeks ago. Now a moving truck was parked in the driveway next door while men loaded furniture and boxes into it. I hadn't talked to Reina since she left me that day, but maybe today I'd see her again. I'd tell her goodbye and I'd apologize for the thousandth time. If she only saw that this was all for a reason. I wasn't giving up, I was helping her. Helping the baby. 

Over a year ago, she was watching me from her window as the truck unloaded our furniture. Now I was watching her wandering out in her front yard, arms crossed and blonde hair blowing out from under her hood. She stopped and sat in the grass, pulling pieces of dead grass between her fingers and letting them go as they blew away. 

Calum appeared from the front door and sat next to her, holding her. I looked away. 

No. 

This is how it's supposed to be. This is what she wanted. She wanted someone perfect to hold her when she's upset and a good father for Hollis. If this is how it's supposed to be then why does it hurt so badly to see her with someone else? I should be happy for her. I know she isn't happy, but she will be. Someday. 

He helped her up and they walked back into the house, his arm guiding her. Her mother and John came outside and put a few things in his car. "Reina, Calum!" John's muffled voice called for them. Were they leaving already? I didn't have a chance to say goodbye. 

I ran down the stairs and out the door, across the lawn to where they stood. "Oh Luke." her mum said, glaring at me. She probably hated me. "I guess you guys are leaving now." I stated, clearing my throat. 

"Yes, we are." John spoke up, holding onto his wife's arm. Reina came through the front door, then looked up at me, standing still. I'd never seen her so lifeless. I had to keep reminding myself that this was only temporary and that it was for the best. 

"Reina, can I talk to you.. just for a minute?" I asked her. She looked down and crossed her arms again. "Okay." 

"Why should she talk to you?" Skye says, walking toward me. "Skye, just leave the boy alone." John tries to quiet her. "No, I want him to hear me. You know what you did? You tore this family apart. I thought you'd stay with her.You're just like Reina's father." she begins. 

"Mom!" Reina's voice breaks through. "I want to talk to him" 

She walks with me around to my house and John ushers Skye and Calum back into the house to give us some privacy. I walk up to my front door, Reina following me. "No." she says, haulting in the driveway. "We'll talk here." I stand in front of her. "I just wanted to say goodbye, Reina." I say, touching her arm. 

She shakes her head. "I don't understand what happened. Yeah, we both messed up, but it's not like that matters now." 

"I can't explain it all now, but I know that this is the best thing. Please believe that I'm doing this for your own good." I explain. 

"How? How can this be good for me? You didn't even try. You're just making up some bullshit excuse because you don't want to face the problems." her voice is getting louder. 

"No, I'm not! I almost asked you stay. That day that you left me, I wanted to tell you not to leave. I didn't. I have hurt you countless times and I don't that for you. I didn't want us to make the same mistakes that your parents made. I wanted you to be happy and be with someone who could take care of you the way you deserve, the way Hollis deserves. Someone like Calum who has been secretly waiting from the sidelines since day one. You're better off without me." Now I was yelling. 

"But I don't want Calum. I want you." she says. "You just.. ugh!" Reina turns away from me. 

"See this? I just wanted to say goodbye and we're fighting. We can't work." 

"I didn't want us to end this way, Luke. I didn't." she starts to walk away from me. "Well I didn't either. Reina, please. I'm doing this because I love you!" 

She is speechless. "Reina, we need to go." her mother calls her. 

"I'm sorry." Reina says before walking away. I go after her, taking her hand in my own and pulling her back to me, kissing her lips. She pulls away from me. "Stop Luke." she looks away. "I'm leaving." she reminds me. 

"Reina. Goodbye." She turns around for a moment, starring at me. "Goodbye, Luke" 

I watch as she climbs into the car with her family and the engine roars. Maybe someday we'll be something. Maybe someday I'll go after her. Not today. 

The car leaves the driveway and I see it getting smaller. 

There goes the girl I love and I did nothing to stop her.

Nothing. 

A/N

Ok I know it's short, but since this is ending very soon, I couldn't do a very long chapter. 

I can't believe that this story is ending. I started this over a year ago and it's been my favorite fanfic that I've ever done. I will have a big sappy goodbye when I finish the last chapter, but for now Its only temporary. 

So I decided that instead of starting a new fanfic, I'm just going to rewrite The Fifth Second since I've been getting good feedback! I am redoing a few things and giving it a new cover! If you'd like to enter my Cover Contest for The Fifth Second, there is a picture on my Instagram (@fivesexualsofsummer) that tells you what I want and what you can win! 

Thank you for reading and I hope this isn't goodbye for us! Hopefully you guys will read The Fifth Second! 

LOVE LOVE LOVE