Chapter 14

Emily P.O.V

Aslan and I stand on a small hill and watch as Orieus brings Edmund over to us. Aslan nods at Orieus. Orieus nods back before leaving. Edmund walks up to us.

"You had me so worried." I tell Edmund. He looks at the ground.

"Sorry, Em." Edmund apologizes. I sigh and pull him into a hug.

"Edmund, your sister was the one who sent those troops on a rescue mission." Aslan tells him. Edmund looks up at me.

"You did that?" Edmund asks. I nod.

"I wanted you to be safe. I couldn't stand the mere thought of you being held captive by the Witch." I tell him. Edmund's eyes fill with tears.

"I thought she was good, Emì. I thought she was my friend. But she wasn't. She wanted to use me to kill all of you." Edmund sobs. I hug him tightly and he hugs back.

"You didn't know, Edmund. And you know what. I am so incredibly proud of you. You were so brave during your time being held prisoner by her. And you know what. If something happened to Aslan, I'm the leader of the army. But if something happened to me, I want you to lead the army. You know the Witch. You know her strengths and weaknesses." I say softly. He sniffles and pulls back.

"You want me to be your back up? But why not Peter?" Edmund asks. I smile sweetly at him.

"I'm not as close to Peter as I am to you. I trust you more than Peter and Susan. In fact I trust you just as much as Lucy." I reply. He smiles at me.

"Peter is learning his sword fighting from Orieus. You might learn more if you are taught by your sister." Aslan tells Edmund. Edmund stares at me wide eyed.

"You can use a sword?" Edmund asks in shock.

"Do you remember when you were six and I went to a summer camp? Well, I learned swordplay there. Along with horseback riding and a bit of archery." I tell him.

"Could you teach me?" Edmund asks. I laugh.

"Of course! I'd love to teach you!" I exclaim.

"Edmund!" I hear Lucy exclaim. I look at Aslan and he nods before walking off to his tent. I wrap an arm around Edmund's shoulders and guide him down to our siblings.

"What's done is done. There is no need to speak to Edmund about what has passed." I tell the three in front of us. I look at Edmund.

"If you need anything, just find Orieus and ask where my tent is. I'll be there." I tell Edmund. He smiles at me and nods. I go to my tent and sit on my bed. I put the shield Father Christmas gave me on my lap and trace the design on it with my finger. Suddenly my tent opens and Peter walks in.

"Hello, Peter. Do you need something?" I ask. He sits beside me on my bed.

"Did Edmund tell you what happened when he was with the Witch?" Peter asks. I look at him.

"Not in details. But if he hasn't told you anything, I won't go behind his back and tell you." I reply. Peter sighs.

"I still don't understand. Why are you Aslan's second?" Peter asks. I notice a glint of jealousy in his eyes.

"At first I didn't understand either. It's hard to explain to be honest. You should ask Aslan. I also have to have a second." I tell Peter. He looks at me.

"Am I your second?" Peter asks. I swallow hard.

"Peter, you need to understand what I am saying. When we were growing up, you were the golden child. The one Mum and Dad thought could do no wrong. Edmund was the second and last son they had. They made you their priority. The reason I chose Edmund was because he was the only one who really needed me. He learned mostly everything in manners from me. Although when Dad went to war, you took over as Father figure. Edmund loved Dad regardless of him favoring you. You pushed Edmund too far, Peter. So he decided to listen to me. And me only. He wouldn't even listen to Mum. I guess you can say I was his Mother figure AND a Father figure in some ways. I was nurturing and kind like a mother should be and strong and encouraging like a father should be. I've taken care of Edmund since he was four. I know him like the back of my hand." I tell Peter. He looks shocked.

"I....I never realized that. There was an actual reason he always stayed with you." Peter says, dumbfounded. I smile softly at him.

"It's okay, Peter. Let's go eat an early dinner. I'm sure Edmund's awake now." I say. He nods and we walk out of my tent to see a circular table set up a few feet away. Five pillows lay on the ground for us to sit on. Susan and Lucy are already there. Peter grabs a cup and fills it with water. He walks over to a stone wall-like thing and leans against it. Edmund walks down to the table and sits beside me. I realize that Lucy and Susan already ate most of the bacon. I sigh and hand the last two pieces to Edmund.

"But..." Edmund begins.

"Eat it. You need it more than I do." I tell him. He sighs and eats them. I then give him some toast and he gobbles it down quickly.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Ed." Lucy jokes. Edmund smiles and takes a drink of water.

"You should pack some for the journey home then." Peter says. We look at him.

"We're going home?" Susan asks. Peter walks over to us and sits beside me.

"You four are. I promised Mum I'd keep you safe. But that doesn't mean I can't stay and help." Peter says.

"But they need us. All five of us." Lucy says.

"It's too dangerous Lucy. You almost drowned and Edmund was almost killed." Peter says. Edmund glances at me. I nod and place a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"That's why we have to stay. I've seen what the White Witch can do. And I've helped her do it. We can't leave these people behind to suffer for it." Edmund says. I smile at him proudly.

"I guess that's it then." Susan says, standing up. She walks away from the table.

"Where are you going?" Peter asks. Susan smiles as she picks up her bow and quiver.

"To get in some practice." She replies.

----------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone!!! That's Chapter 14!!! I hope you liked it!!! And oh my, we're getting close to the end!!! But don't worry!!! This book will continue through Prince Caspian and then the Voyage of the Dawn Treader!!!

~BeatriceIsDauntless