Chapter 4

Emily P.O.V

We reach our station and we grab our things quickly. I take Lucy's hand and we hurry onto the platform. Honk honk. A car is coming. We hurry down the steps and Lucy holds her free hand up. The car goes passed us.

"Surely the Professor knew we were coming." Susan says. I nod in agreement. Ed looks down at the tag that is clipped to his jacket.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labeled." Edmund suggests. Wack wack. A woman on a carriage comes trotting down the path. She stops and looks at us with a mean stare.

"Mrs. MaCready?" I ask. She gives me a polite smile.

"I'm afraid so. Is this it. Haven't you brought anything else?" She asks.

"No ma'am. It's just us." Peter replies. Lucy and I nod.

"Small favors." Mrs. MaCready says. She nods her head to the carriage. We squeeze into the cart and Lucy ends up having to sit on my lap. After maybe twenty minutes or so, a huge mansion comes into view. It's quite lovely really. My siblings stare at it like it'll eat them alive.

"Professor Kirk is not accustomed to having children in his house. So there are a few rules!" Mrs. MaCready says and looks at Lucy and Edmund. "There will be no shouting. Or running."

She then looks at me and Peter.

"There will be no listening to the radio after curfew." She announces. Susan goes to touch a bust of a man. (A statue of a person's head) Mrs. MaCready's eyes widen at Susan.

"No touching of the historical artifacts!" She cries. Mrs. MaCready clears her throat and puts a finger to her lips.

"And above all. There will be no disturbing of the Professor." She says in a hushed voice. She turns on her heel and continues walking.

"Follow me to your rooms. Dinner will be at five sharp. Don't be late. If you don't finish your meal you don't get desert. Understood?" Mrs. MaCready asks. We nod.

"Yes ma'am." I respond with a kind smile. The others nod and stare at MaCready like she'll kill them.

"Well. At least one of you has proper manners. And I'm glad it's a girl. Would you mind helping me with a few things....." Mrs. MaCready begins, but trails off realizing she doesn't know my name. I smile.

"Of course, I'd love to. You can call me Emily." I say nicely. She's actually quite nice if you get her in her best mood. The others have the wrong opinion of her.

"Well Miss Emily. I shall take you and your siblings to your rooms, then get settled in. After your done you can find me in the kitchen." Mrs. MaCready says. I smile and nod politely. We follow her through a few hallways and reach three doors. Mrs. MaCready opens the first door.

"This is the boys room." She tells us. Peter and Edmund mumble a thanks and walk into the room to unpack the few things they brought. We move onto the third door. Although I don't know why we skipped a room.

"This is the eldest and youngest girls room. Now Emily I was going to have the eldest child have their own room. But you are much more polite so I am giving if to you." She tells me once we reach the middle door. She opens it and inside is a queen sized bed with white sheets and a light blue quilt. The walls are a lovely cream color and the floors have a soft white carpet.

"It's lovely. Thank you Mrs. MaCready." I say thankfully. She smiles at me.

"Of course. Get settled in and meet me in the kitchen in ten minutes." She says before walking away. I unpack my things and put my hand on the quilt and then the sheets. They're soft and smooth. I smile and head towards the kitchen.