Chapter 35

Caspian and I lead the way with Lucy and Edmund right behind us. Eustace is just trailing behind with many complaints falling out of his mouth.

"Eustace, go check and see if anyone is in that house over there." I tell him, pointing at a house with boarded up windows. He swallows hard and hurries over to do as told. He glances through the crack of the boards and hurries back towards us.

"Nope, no one's home." Eustace says with a panicked expression. I sigh.

"You were hardly gone for a minute." Edmund scoffs. Eustace glares at him.

"Eustace, we're going into this warehouse. Take this knife and stand guard." I tell my younger cousin. He nods and accepts the knife. Caspian guides me into the warehouse next to us. Lucy sticks close to Edmund as they enter behind us. In the middle of the room is an open book on a pedestal. The sunlight from the large window above us shines a light on the book perfectly. It's as if someone has a spotlight aimed at it. Caspian and I glance at each other before moving to look at the book more closely. When I look at it, my heart sinks.

"Is this for some sort of tax payment? Why do they have all of these names crossed off in this book?" Lucy asks as she moves to stand beside me. Caspian shakes his head.

"Slave traders." Caspian says. And just after he says that, there's a loud gong of a bell. A group of men drop down and start to fight us. But no matter how hard we fight, nothing seems to happen. Until Eustace screams anyway. We all look at the big door and see a man holding a knife to Eustace's neck.

"Drop your weapons. Or I'll make this one scream like a girl again." The man holding him says. Eustace glares at him.

"I do not scream like a girl!" Eustace argues. The man rolls his eyes and tightens his hold on my younger cousin. Caspian, Lucy, Edmund, and I hesitantly let our weapons drop to the floor.

"Restrain them." A new man says. He walks out from the shadows as the men we were fighting grab our arms and hold them tightly behind our backs.

"Release me this instant! I! AM! YOUR! KING!" Caspian shouts. The man from the shadows smirks.

"That doesn't impress me here, Your Majesty." The man taunts. My husband glares angrily at him.

"Take the dark haired boys to a cell and take the others down to be sold in the morning." The man orders. My heart drops to my stomach and look at Caspian with panic in my eyes.

"Caspian!" I cry as the man holding me drags me to the door. He tries to get out of the grasp he's in.

"No! Emily! I'll find you! I won't rest until I do!" Caspian exclaims with tears in his eyes. Lucy and Edmund are struggling to get to each other but Lucy and Eustace are soon pulled out of the warehouse.

"Edmund! Caspian!" I scream as I'm dragged out of the warehouse. Lucy and Eustace look to be crying as we get shoved down to the ground near the front of the line of people to be sold in the morning. The three of us scoot back and have no choice but to let them cuff our wrists. Lucy and Eustace sniffle and turn to cry into my shoulders. Eustace is on my right and Lucy is on my left. They both place their hands on my lap and I hold them tightly.

"Everything will be okay. Caspian and Edmund will think of something." I reassure them. They continue to cry. After a while, they cry so much it puts them to sleep. And that in turn pulls me to sleep knowing I'll need my rest.

*Time Lapse*

Lucy, Eustace, and I are shoved towards a wooden platform. Lucy is pulled up first and sold. A sold sign is placed around her neck. I glare at the man as he pulls me onto the platform.

"How about this beautiful young lady? Say a thousand gold pieces?" The man asks. Someone in the crowd raises a hand.

"A thousand fifty." The person exclaims. No one else says anything.

"Sold!" The man behind me exclaims before placing a wooden sign around my neck and shoving me off the platform. I stand in front of Lucy and face her. I lean down a bit so I'm her height.

"Lucy, everything will be okay. No one will hurt us. Caspian and Edmund will make sure of it. They're probably on their way here as we speak." I reassure her. And right after I say that, the half of the crowd throws their hoods back to reveal that they're part of the Dawn Treader crew. Reepicheep hurries over to us and uses his sword to pick the locks on Lucy's handcuffs and then mine. We take our sold signs off our necks.

"Thanks Reep." We say gratefully. I grab my weapons from the pile of things Eustace, Lucy, and I had on us before we were captured. Lucy then grabs her things. Eustace ran off to who knows where. I fight by my little sister's side, wanting to make sure she's safe. And soon enough, all of the bad men are either dead or unconscious. The citizens cheer and thank us for freeing them from the tyrants. My eyes scan the crowd until they land on my younger brother.

"Edmund!" I exclaim happily. Lucy and I run to him. He hugs us both tightly.

"Are you two okay?" He asks worriedly. We smile and nod.

"How about you? They didn't hurt you did they?" I ask. Edmund shakes his head.

"No, I'm okay." He replies. I sigh in relief. Edmund releases us and I look around for my husband. Eventually I find him talking to Drinian. I take of running.

"Caz!" I call. He looks at me instantly and looks like he might cry. I reach him and we hug each other as tightly as possible.

"Em...I was so worried." He mutters shakily into my hair. Tears stream down my cheeks.

"I'm okay. I'm here." I whisper to him. My throat tightens as it tries to prevent me from sobbing. He kisses the side of my head.

"Your Majesty!" A man calls pleadingly as he hurries towards us. Drinian goes to stop him but Caspian motions for him not to. I allow Caspian to stand up properly before burying my face in his chest.

"They took my wife just this morning. Please let me come with you." The man begs. Caspian nods.

"What's your name?" My husband asks. The man looks relieved.

"Rhince." He replies. Caspian strokes my hair gently.

"Welcome aboard Rhince." Caspian says. I glance at Rhince to see him saying goodbye to his daughter and a woman. I guess the woman is the little girl's aunt or something. Caspian must've allowed him to join the crew since he would be doing the same if it was us in their shoes. Caspian kisses the top of my head and I close my eyes. Until now, I didn't realize how much I like being so close to him. It feels dangerous to be away from his side. All I can do is hope we won't be separated again on this journey.