Ch. 8 - Impossible

'I made myself at home, in the cobwebs and the lies

I'm learning all your tricks, I can hurt you from inside.

I made myself a promise, you would never see me cry

Til I make you.'

- The Devil Within, Digital Daggers

***

My eyes flutter open from the murmur of voices around me. I sit up, feeling not even a sliver of pain. Just as I have suspected, Valentine and Astor are both standing at the foot of the bed waiting for me to wake.

"You two seem unsatisfied," I announce.

They acknowledge one another with a glance and Valentine walks out with reluctance plastered on his every being.

"I assume you are aware of what has happened in the last few days?" Astor asks.

"I've been turned into a lifeless abomination."

Astor purses his lips. "It's rather odd, isn't it?"

"No, it's cruel." I cut him off and swing my legs off the bed. "To live forever, destroying life, and for what?"

"We were created, simply, to balance what you call 'life'," he clears his throat. "We aren't all what you assume us to be. Some just cannot help it."

I contemplate on his words. Have I been too wrapped up on one vampire to even think about the others?

"I have lived long enough to witness what this world has endured. Why make me one of you?"

"That is a question you must ask Valentine," he replies. "But, my dear, as I mentioned earlier, doesn't it strike you odd that your heart still beats?"

My jaw drops. "My what?" I press my fingers to my neck to check my pulse and examine myself in a nearby mirror. "Impossible. I felt the change." I gasp as my fangs extend and puncture my lower lip.

"You did, but your blood repelled the venom on the second day."

It has been two days?

"Repelled?" What has Valentine done about this? The door opens as if on cue and I could smell his musky and sweet scent fills the room. He nods at Astor and he leaves as he was silently asked.

"I'm afraid I must answer your questions at a different time, my dear. See you at dinner."I gulp and glare at Valentine as he shuts and locks the door.

"I believe Astor has told you everything you need to know."

"Not everything." I squeeze my fist.

"It suffices for now; we do know that you are just as much a vampire as I am along with the power you already possess." He ambles closer to me. "You, by far, will be the deadliest anomaly in existence. The perfect weapon in my arsenal. A hybrid."

Now he's just making a joke of himself. It's impossible for me to be anything else than I already am. I shove him as he gets closer to me. "I am not your weapon, nor am I going to sit here and play a part in your war."

"Did you not know, Princess." He pushes me into the cold wall. "That it was your mother who started this war?"

I scowl at his pale face. "I am not my mother, and as far as I know, it was your human lover that ended your bloodline."

His body stiffens at the mention of his dead mate and he raises a glowing dagger, my dagger, and presses it against my neck. "Don't speak about Scarlett that way, she was far more dignified than you assume."