Ch. 32 - Lust

I must find him.

The loud and angry rumble of the motorcycle echoes through the garage as I pulled the gas handle. In haste, the bike accelerates through the garage and into the empty streets, leaving nothing but a trail of tire marks and smoke.

Due to the speed I was going, it didn't take me long to reach Valentine's manor. I sigh at the full moon right above his darkened and estranged estate and let my shoulders drop. It doesn't seem like anyone could be home - no light can be seen or detected. He's a vampire - they are masters of keeping secrets, especially in darkness.

I desperation, I break into his house by kicking down the door, not even bothering to check for an alternate access point. A wave of nausea sweeps over me - I'm terribly hungry and his house is full of titanium. A crackling sensation rises in my throat and worsens as I smell his musky scent seeping off of his belongings. Maybe, I can find clues to his whereabouts.

"Where are you, Valentine?" I whisper under my breath.

The silence had me wondering if I was deaf. Although his furnishings are exemplary, the house feels cold and rarely lived in. I don't feel his presence here but I don't think twice about checking every inch of space. My gaze glides over every inch of space, not missing a single door or room. I have no luck in my search but I did discover that he's a very simple vampire.

'What have I done?'

'I might as well have lost him.'

'Where could he be?'

'What more could Augustine do to his brother?'

Self-accusations circulate my mind and they don't stop. I want to punish myself for acting without thinking and if possible, turn back time. I knew that Augustine didn't have a sense of consideration or forgiveness yet I allowed him to cause another fracture in our already torn relationship. The blame cannot be passed to anyone else but I and no one else can mend it but me. This is between the two of us alone.

He isn't here, I finally thought silently.

Just as my foot was to step out of the door, an object flashes in the moonlight and catches my attention. I turn my head to the left and spot the glittering, red mask I wore to the masquerade ball after I was turned. The mask lies next to the shimmering diamond necklace and in a flash, I was back on the motorcycle.

How could I be so foolish? He told me once that there was a place he would find peace and a place no other person would know but me.

The drive to the castle was quicker than my journey to Valentine's manor. I arrive and toss my helmet to the side without even thinking of setting it aside properly.

The castle is unusually quiet for such a busy day. Sebastian has invited Numidia's most skillful fighters to train with the guard and I had to disappoint him again with my absence. I'm sure he'll have my head when I see him again, given our circumstances. It has been hours since Valentine's disappearance and I've avoided all contact with everyone under the stone roof of the grand castle.

I close my eyes and try to feel him.

My shoulders slump because all I feel is an immense amount of despair. It was powerful enough to make my knees week with a deep sorrow. Is this what he's feeling now?

I hold my breath as a strong, sweet smell wafts into my nostrils. A raging and forceful hunger burns in my throat as I try to figure out where the delicious fragrance is originating. I look left and right in the enormous corridor and my lips curl back in frustration at the emptiness of it.