Ch. 45 - Revival

Wooh, I hope you have recovered from your mini heart attacks. I'm sorry to leave with such a crazy cliffhanger. Here's another short chapter. Once this book is finished, I will edit - big time - and combine some of the short chapters. 

***

'The flame of his love scorches my frozen heart and we collide with the passion of a thousand souls.'

***

If you're lucky, you will pass from this life in peace. Most die from old age, sleeping in their beds as their soul transfer from this life to the next feeling like it's all just a dream. Others die quickly, without even feeling a splinter of pain or even a single thought. A quick and painless death was what I longed for but this one is the complete opposite.

It's a slow death and I can feel everything.

Gasping, I clutch my chest feeling the pain of a thousand deaths. My heart beats silently with a sadness that is unparalleled. I open my eyes and see irises as dark at the evening sky but as soft as calm waters. His gaze is locked on mine, not moving or stirring.

"Valentine," I whisper. My voice surprises me because it doesn't sound like me. "I'm okay."

He continues to stare at me and I begin to worry. I pull back in shock as I notice that time has stopped - everything around me had halted and is held in place by an unseen power. Even the air has stopped its howling and the dust has laid still. I lift myself up from a fetal position and I look back in bewilderment as I see my own body on the ground with Valentine hovering over me.

"You've lived quite a long life, doll-face," a voice calls from behind. Rath's strong and powerful presence causes me to turn around and face him. He's still wearing the same dirt-ridden clothing he battled with and the same smirk he loves to flash at me. In all of my years, I've never been around someone as ancient as him and powerful as him. His mere presence makes me feel intimidated and never had I ever felt like this around anyone before. I wonder what makes him different.

"What's happening?" I ask, also wondering how I'm here, yet not here.

"You died," he says flatly without hesitation. Nerves start to dance wildly in my body and I step back not believing what has happened. "Your spirit left your body and I'm here to collect it."

"I can't," I stutter suddenly afraid of what he is going to say.

The Demon King steps toward me, closing in on my floating form. All insecurity rises from my stomach and he does nothing but stare at me with flames burning in his eyes. He's waiting for me - waiting to have me accept my fate. Last year I would have asked him to take my soul in a heartbeat but I've changed. Now, I can't wait to live and actually have the chance to enjoy the life I never paid attention to. My heart sinks at the thought of losing the body I was graciously given.

"You've been wanting this for years, kitten, aren't you glad you finally got your wish?" His smirk grows wider showing his amusement in my frustration. His strong demeanor doesn't even change; he's still the same devilish bastard.

"That was then," I say in a broken tone. "I-I've changed my mind."

A deep and booming laugh erupts through the field as if we were in an empty room. The sounds echo in and through the bodies and trees like they didn't even exist. I flinch at the glare he gives me. I don't know why but I feel as if I must submit to everything he says, even if it contradicts with my own thoughts and feelings.

"Valentine comes into your life and you suddenly change? I've spent thousands of years with all souls that come and depart from this life - you aren't the first to beg for a second chance. You've had over two hundred years to live and you moonlighted as an assassin, feeding off of nothing but darkness while you wallowed in self-pity."