Ch. 31 - Bound

'Often do we hear the song of an angel. Never, do we hear the cry of a demon, whose tears run like crimson.'

***

No matter how hard I try, my thoughts are still the same as they were a few hours ago – regretful and angry. The weight of all that is negative and dark is perching like raven on my shoulders and I can't seem to lift it. I feel like a head floating in the ocean, drinking the same water that I polluted.

To say it hurt is an understatement - his sudden act of retraction left me with a gaping hole in my chest. I wish I could take it all back. The fault is entirely mine, if I hadn't said those words he wouldn't have left.

My head throbs with an intense amount of pressure and feels as if my eyes are about to pop out of my head. By some miracle, I was able to get out of the dreaded room where Valentine had left me. I have not seen him since and do not wish to see him now, we are better off not speaking for now.

My finger traces the decaying leather binding of Scarlett's journal, debating on whether I should just try and look for the key or force it open. My patience is wearing thin; therefore, trying to look for a lost or rather hidden key will be senseless and I have little to no remorse for the owner of the journal, so, invasion of privacy through force would have no impact on either of us.

Valentine loved her with all of his heart and after two centuries, he still could not get over her. What was so special about her that caused a fierce battle between two very powerful vampires?

I sit on the bed with my legs crossed, turning the journal right side up for me to properly examine the intricate lock. It's a beautiful work of art but it's causing an intense whirl of feelings and I don't know how long I can tolerate it. No one knows I have it and no one will need to know that I do.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." A voice startles me and the journal drops from my hands. "That lock is full of ink – if forced, it will stain the pages and its contents are lost forever."

"I wasn't my intent to force it open," I reply and sigh.

"That is definitely a first." Vladimir clicks his tongue and walks into my room to inspect the other artifacts that I managed to flee with. "Especially from you."

"There is a first for everything." I point out.

He grinds his teeth and changes the subject. "Aren't you supposed to be training?"

"I could say the same to you." I raised a brow to question his presence.

Vlad picks up the necklace I stole from Datura's collection and he lifts it to accuse me of theft.

"I'll return it," I say ahead of time.

"Sure you will," he says childishly. A small smile creeps on my face in spite of the tension that has built between my shoulders. His enthusiasm and young heart did brighten the room immensely, but I can't shake the feeling of regret and sorrow off my mind. You have to wonder why he truly came to visit though.

"You didn't come here for the artifacts or the journal, did you?"

He shoves his hands in his pockets and takes small steps toward the bed. "His Royal Highness has asked me to fetch you for training with the guard."

"Tell him I'll be down right away," I say without hesitation.

"I'll be sure to relay exactly that," he nods his head and walks out of the door with haste. The training must have started already, conversations with Vladimir aren't usually cut that short.

After a minute of contemplating and planning, I was startled once again. "Vladimir, I said I'll be down, it has only been two minutes since you left."