Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?

This part is written in third person

***

Valentine blinks his eyes open to a bright ray of sunlight peeking through the thick drapes over the windows. He had noticed the familiar room that he, at one point, lived and found solace in. His arm made it's way over to his face, covering the light that was creeping in.

Indeed, he was grateful for the beautiful gift that he was born with. He stretched as he awoke and the blanket covering his naked torso slipped off of him and he was reminded of the events that took place at the ball.

He rose to his full height and examined his side, checking if the nasty cut was still there. He wanted to burn Datura alive and feed her corpse to the wolves. In all his years on earth, he had no recollection of Datura doing good.

He wondered how he had healed after a devastating fall and wound. Valentine found his thoughts turned to Saphira, the very bane of his existence. Out of all of Datura's exploits, Saphira is the worst. She may not know it yet, but she is and was his destruction.

Somehow fate managed to let their paths cross again. If he had the courage to do it, he would rip his own heart out to rid himself of the irrational.

In a speed only known to vampires, he caught the last spot of sunlight before it retired in the horizon. One thing he loved the most was the way the sun glided over every living thing.

He stood on the balcony attached to his suite, relishing the cool breeze of the wind. Watching the sun rise and set was his way of reminding himself of the fragility of human life. Another day gone. Saphira's strength would soon accelerate and she would be as strong as he. He needed to take advantage of her newborn status, while she is weak.

In a matter of minutes, the coast was safe for all vampires, in existence, to venture out of their hiding places. Valentine senses a pair of eyes watching him and he turns his head to survey his surroundings. His blue eyes fall on a pair of glowing orbs behind a window to a room adjacent to his.

Saphira looks back at the half-naked vampire. A blush tints her cheeks as she realizes her obvious stare on his toned torso and well-built stature. She silently hoped that he had not noticed.

Valentine fights back a smirk that was threatening to show on his face. After a moment of intense stares, Saphira quickly turned away from the window and Valentine's expression drops.

Reluctance.

Ambivalence.

Regret.

Anger.

Pain.

He couldn't shake the emotions that always presented themselves when he saw her face. Saphira's beauty was a masterpiece that would never leave his mind nor his heart.

***

Saphira

*

Quite dramatically, I fall back onto the four poster bed. A blush still riddled my cheeks upon seeing a shirtless Valentine and I breathed in to calm my heart to a steady beat. After a very unharmonious reunion of sorts last night, I was completely exhausted, even with a full days sleep.

All life was drained from me when I transferred energy to Valentine. I had no perception of the limit of my abilities nor its capabilities. It was a risky move, but in turn we both made it out alive.

I was in nothing but a flimsy bra and underwear, something that seemed comfortable to wear to bed. I can barely recall the aftermath of the Masquerade's events. What I could remember was the way Valentine's deep blue eyes held dearly onto mine.