Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass

I bury my irrational feelings deep in my subconscious and wait for his response.

"I know of the perfect place. No one will disturb us there," he suggests and urges me to follow him.

After what feels like going through a maze of marble, gold filigree and hundreds of doors, we arrive at our destination. We are in an ancient part of the castle, one that is not maintained as the rest. There is not a single sound detectable but the drum of my beating heart against my chest.

I nod for approval and step into the dark room. Valentine turns on the chandelier that illuminates the room with a warm glow.

Immediately, my eyes fall on the floor ceiling window that spans the length of the wall. It was beautiful and it faced a glassy lake that reflects the moon. We are high up and looking down at the vampires strolling in the castle gardens. I find myself being drawn to it and staring into the horizon, something I tend to do when I'm emotionally unstable.

"It appears that Cassandra has added a few modern touches to this room," Valentine says in a soft voice as he lightly taps the glass with his knuckles.

I glance at him, he has taken his mask off to reveal his square jaw and handsome features. I want to touch him but he seems as if he would melt and disappear if I do. He looks longingly in the distance with a disappointed look on his face. Beyond the thick glass are the remains of a veranda that ran along the open space.

I take this moment to examine the room and its contents. There were ancient paintings on the wall and old books lying on shelves, there was no furniture of any kind but a lone chair and desk that sat by the window. "What is this place?"

"This is - was my private study," he looks at me, "I spent a lot of my time here, during my reign. The serene ambiance would calm me in times of great stress and conflict."

"I see." I acknowledge and take a few steps to get out of his peripheral vision.

"Soon after my parents died, I assumed the throne, being the next in line. The council didn't like that I didn't have a Queen so I was arranged to be married. I still remember sitting here a day before the wedding and thinking about how I would stop it all from happening."

I frown at the mention on marriage but he continues on.

"I couldn't refuse of course and I was too selfish to let Augustine to take the throne so I went through it. Thankfully for me, she ran off with one of the guards not even half a century later and I've never seen her since."

I stare at his back, trying to remember what we are here for. Datura is roaming the castle as we speak and we are both entranced in our own ways. He was telling his a vulnerable moment in his life and I just wanted to hear more.

"Half a century is a long time," I mutter.

"Not for us, it's merely a blip."

I spot a sharp object on a desk and quickly grab it without a single sound. I like sharp things. It will do little or nothing but there is nothing I hate more than feeling vulnerable and weak. I quickly stick the letter opener in my hair and joined Valentine in counting the stars.

"I need you to explain something to me." I fold my bare arms and keep a placid expression. "I think you know more about me than anyone in the underworld." I narrow my eyes at his tight lips and dark eyes. "You said I was created. What am I?"

"A weapon," was all that escaped from his mouth.

"I've had enough of you calling me a weapon or a damn instrument in your vendetta," I seethe, "What am I?" I say harshly and confidently. I push myself closer to him, to intimidate and he stares down at me with cold eyes.