Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can

'I will be here, when you think you're all alone

Seeping through the cracks, I'm the poison in your bones

My love is your disease, I won't let it set you free

Til I break you.'

- The Devil Within, Digital Daggers

***

Ripples of overwhelming shock pass through every nerve ending as I stare at the newfound creature reflecting before me. It was all the same - lips plump, hair full and pale skin. I focus closer on my eyes, the only aspect that was different from before.

They held a different glint - my deep golden eyes have been shadowed with a lighter, more prominent color. It seemed like they glowed.

Waking at sundown, I felt nothing. No fear, no pain and no life.

I curse my own existence. I should not have let it come this far. This isn't what I wanted. I vowed to end all with Valentine and now a whole new world has started.

A cold breeze expresses an unwanted presence in the room. I grimace as the cold-hearted vampire's face reflects in the mirror. The last few days have been nothing but a fog of confusion and ambivalence. I was numb. I was nothing.

It wasn't me.

He scrutinizes my every move. "Welcome to the Vampire world, Saphira."

"What is it that you want?" I threw with a bitter taste in my mouth. He seduced me to make me drink his blood and now I have to pay for it.

"Can I not see how my Princess is doing?" he replies innocently. I hate his vain nicknames for me.

I twist on the balls of my feet to face him. "I'm splendid," I say with utmost sarcasm, "but I am not your princess, parasite."

Valentine advances towards me and stops just inches away. "I think you need to check the mirror again, sweetheart, those words will bite you back."

"Don't come any closer." I cautiously step back, hitting the counter in the process. I bite my tongue, blood drips in my mouth reminding me of my thirst and hold back profanity to prevent rage. I can smell the sweet odor of his blood run through his veins.

Quite honestly, between the both of us, we have enough power to destroy this place. It would have no point, no meaning, just a reckless abhorrence.

The vampire closes the gap between us and curls a warm hand on my arm. I meet with his blazing gaze, allowing me to take in his majestic blue eyes which was pooling with something I cannot quite put my finger on. I had never seen his eyes so bright and unclouded.

"You're cold."

Valentine's hands snake around my waist, tickling my side. "I am well aware."

"You need to feed," he insists.

Attempting to push him away, I bite back. "I am not sucking on another neck," I seethe.

"Vampires don't always kill," he defends. "You can control your desires, even when feeding."

He almost had me convinced.

"Come." He tugs on my arm and I have no choice but to follow - I am hungry and thirsty all at once.

Valentine draws me into the room contiguous to mine and a fragrant odor awakens my taste buds. It's like stepping into a room full of flowers. The distinct smell of human blood can be identified even against all odds. I inspect the room and heave, "Peter."