Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons

Hello, peeps! Happy Saturday. :D

Alas, it is my last week in the beautiful islands of the Philippines then I'm off to Neverland.

Anyway, I'm going start school soon, but I won't forget updates.

Love ya.

- H (Queen of the Underworld)

***

Before today, I never knew that I would be so nervous with being in a room full of the most powerful beings in the world. I don't know if it's because of the demon, Rathmoor, staring daggers at me or the fact that Prince Kai's leg keeps brushing against mine.

I've never encountered mermaids in my entire career, simply because they dwell in the deepest and darkest parts of the ocean. I don't regret it one bit - I'm not particularly fond of fish and this one seems a little too excited to be walking on two legs. The merfolk are notorious for their huge egos and high self-esteem, I'm surprised why the King asked his young son attend.

All eyes fall on us from Valentine's burning question. There must be something I'm missing because the witch King looks to be in reluctance. Valentine and Acarius give each other hard stares and the room fills with unmistakable tension.

"I do not speak for the Grand Council since we are a whole. If you require help, they must offer willingly," Acarius says and Valentine's entire body starts to stiffen. "This so-called 'war' that is breaking out should have stayed within your realm but from what I can recall, you kind have done nothing to contain the havoc one witch is causing."

"From what I recall, neither have you," Valentine interjects with a strong voice to match the King. "She was a crimson seer under your command and you had full knowledge of her capabilities, yet you allowed her and her coven to bring death into our homes."

In that moment Valentine's entire countenance seemed to have grown. His governing instincts appear to have risen from where he has buried it and he looks and sounds like the royal that he is. His chiseled jaw has tightened and his hands have curled into fists, letting me know that he was certainly not fond of Acarius or any other witch beside Ari.

From this side of the table, I see the way Acarius is trying hard not to lose this cool. The King visibly exhales from Valentine's words and places his hands on the table.

"Datura was my mistake," he admits. I raise a brow at his humility but braced myself for what he has to say next. "But I had no control, whatsoever, on anything she did within Numidia, especially with Lucius. You are no longer a King or a Prince, Valentine, so don't lecture me on what I did or didn't do. You are here to observe and answer our questions, and unless spoken to, you will not speak."

I give an inaudible gasp as his words fall on everyone's ears. Valentine's eyes have grown dark and from the looks of it, his nails have sharpened into monstrous claws, ready to swipe at anything. I don't know what's going through his mind, but I can tell that it isn't anything good. Until now, I don't know the entire story what happened two-hundred years ago and based off what I've heard so far, I there's a lot more that every vampire is keeping from me. What really happened at that time that is causing such a big rift in the Underworld?

If thoughts and emotions were visible, you would see a dark cloud above us, floating densely above our heads. With one stray word from our lips, it can all come crashing down. Maybe this is the reason why Valentine didn't want to attend the meeting.

"Come now, Acarius," the Lycan king says with a very amused tone. My eyes fall on him, his brown eyes are glowing with mischief. I couldn't help but notice the way his beautiful wife place her hands suddenly lands on his bicep, squeezing it slightly. "You invited him here - he's as much a part of this as you are. We all know that Datura did everything in her own will."