Ch. 38 - Fire

How lucky are you? You get an update! ;)

^ Play the song through the chapter (Walk Through The Fire (feat. Ruelle) – Zayde Wolf)

Don't forget to vote and comment!

***

'She loved fire so much that she became it.'

***

What I never knew about myself until now is my compassion for those who are different from me. I buried myself so deep that even I could not get myself out. I covered my thoughts, my heart and my soul with a cold, dark exterior that ruled my life and destroyed my very being. There are just times when you fall and can't get back up - I had a beautiful life but that life shattered when I lost my purpose. Slowly, but surely, the pieces are being put together by strong hands willing to lift me out.

Sometimes, you can't do it on your own. Most of the time, the answers you seek will come from someone you least expect.

It's in the eye of this storm that I find myself in a place between wakefulness and dreams.

One minute, I see nothing but darkness and the next my vision is assaulted by nothing but pure, white elegance. Its brightness is so blinding that I blink my eyes to make sure I'm not staring straight into the sun.

I'm floating, looking over a valley of purity, observing the beautiful scene, finding not a single blemish on the surface. Trees, shrubs, grass and even flowers are a spotless white that cannot match any other cleanliness in the world. My mind is enveloped by silence – not a peaceful silence but a deafening one that is capable of making you crazy.

A moment later I hear the sound of a deep baritone behind me. I realize that I am not alone floating in mid-air – a body, which is clearly identifiable as Valentine's is pressed against mine. Our spines are lined up against each other's facing the opposite direction. I make an attempt to move or turn my head but I am not able to. All consciousness and mobility are being controlled by my subconscious.

A deep and booming sound drops from above us and travels down like the heavy bass from a large speaker, causing me shiver and look down. My mouth opens slightly at the sight of a blood-red liquid that is seeping from the ground, tainting the valley floor in crimson. My breathing hitches as gravity hits us with a harsh strike and we start falling through the sky, heading toward the contrasting colors of red and white.

I wished to speak, to scream, but no sound is coming out.

In one fluid movement, our bodies are ripped apart and a feeling of separation zaps my body. Valentine frantically glances at me with concern and worry but we continue our plummet to the earth. He tries to reach out to me but our hands don't ever meet as if a strong magnet is pulling us from each other. Valentine's eyes have turned black, like a hollow and starless universe and I close mine, hoping wake from this nightmare.

Tears fall from down face as I feel a piercing sensation go through my heart. My gut wrenches as the feeling blends into every part of my body, giving me the feeling of being split in half.

It's then that I hear my name being called. "Saphira," he said in a voice so calm, you could mistake it for a voice of an angel. I lock my eyes with Valentine's and even though we don't physically touch, I can feel his strong arms wrap around me.

I brace myself for an impact and instead of hitting the ground, we hit a pool of water. The water is ice cold as we are submerged under the surface. I open my eyes under the water and I gasp, causing me to choke on the freezing substance. A pair of lifeless eyes stares straight into mine piercing through each bubble that escaped from my mouth.