Ch. 37 - Kitten

I wanna dedicate this to all of you but I can only dedicate to one person. Lol.

As promised, here is the much-anticipated chapter. I know you all are waiting for a moment with Rath. <3

***

Demons are fallen angels who sided with Lucifer in the beginning of time. They were cast out of heaven and forced to live in eternal damnation until the great day of deliverance. Demons are possessive spirits who have no true form, which means they can take any to their liking. Inferus is said to be the entrance to hell - it is home to demons, monsters.

"That is impossible." I ball my hands into fists and doubtfully stare back at the hulking fallen angel. Scarlett couldn't be Inferus, she should be in hell with the Devil himself. I go through different reasons in my head and none of them make sense.

He looks down at me like I'm an ant and squints his eyes. His gaze trails over my body slowly and I suddenly feel very self-conscious. I wouldn't doubt that he is willing for me to catch on fire and I already feel like I am. He towers over me and I take a step back and I grit my teeth because he follows my movements. Damn it all, if this is going to happen, might as well talk somewhere the others won't hear.

Demons are also very, very naughty.

"Well, it seems quite possible to me, kitten." I grimace at the inappropriate endearment a blazing heat covers my entire body. Could she get out of Inferus and come back? What would Valentine say if he knew about Scarlett? I make my way to the buffet and scan my eyes over the different types of liquor available. Just as suspected, Rath follows and stands right next to me, taking up all the spare space between us.

"It must have just been a doppelganger because she died hundreds of years ago," I insist. "And don't call me that unless you want your head cut off."

Rath breathes in and from what I can hear a soft groan also escapes from the back of his throat. His eyes change color, until their look like hot coals. "In case you didn't know, dollface, I'm a demon so you can't just kill me. Inferus is also home to disembodied spirits, wandering souls whose bodies have been taken from them. Scarlett is one of those spirits."

A cold chill runs straight down my spine and I feel like my body is in a space between two opposing realms. "Is she alive or dead?"

Rath's eyes flick over my shoulder and his eyes narrow on the moving figure behind me. I can smell Valentine's musky, seductive scent surround me and I slightly panic.

"She's neither dead nor living."

"If that's the case shouldn't she be in purgatory?"

He leans down to my level for him to speak directly into my ear. "Let's just say her spirit is stuck between life and death.She can't move from Inferus until her body is put to rest."

"I don't know what you mean. I've had this body for over two-hundred years."

He takes one stride closer to me and my eyes widen at his close proximity. A subtle, sensual scent rolls off of him and as breathe in I also recognize a hint of smoke that is lingering on his leather jacket. Up close, you can easily tell that he is definitely the bad boy every mother would warn her daughter about.

"Sugar, what I mean is that you shouldn't even be alive."

Once again, I grit my teeth at the nicknames he's already given me after knowing each other for five minutes. "I already know that I shouldn't be alive, demon. It's pretty much my life motto. Why don't you go back to Inferus, I don't need another psychopath trying to kill me and I don't need her coming back."