Ch. 46 - It's Not Over

This is it.

A nice, long ending to satisfy your little aching hearts.

Vote and comment, my babies!

Listen to the song while you read. ;) (Crossfire by Stephen)

***

'There is nothing more beautiful than broken creatures learning to fly.'

***

Silence.

A dead and hollow space full of tension, unspoken thoughts and darkness. Clouds of smoke rise from the ground and cover the earth with a blanket of shadows. They watch and wait.

Valentine squeezes the hand that was shaking with the thought of me taking my own creators throne. It wasn't supposed to happen this way.

I can't be their Queen.

With limited time I was granted, I am restricted. Who knows when Rath will take my soul again. He never really gave me a time. He wasn't even clear on his conditions. I study their faces and their respect for their new Queen. This is what Ari saw in her vision. She said I would be made Queen but I'd have to make wise decisions. Kill or be killed?

The vampires steer clear of the host of darkness and we have all divided yet again. There is a line between us and them. A powerful wave of electricity washes over me, building in a tension-filled ball in my hands and temples. I can feel my eyes flood with black, showing the full extent of my being. "Your Queen is dead. Leave now or suffer the consequences," I shout over the massive crowd. The abrupt and demanding action causes the earth to crack under my feet.

"Saphira, you're letting them leave?" Valentine calls out to me. Bewildered, they glance at each other knowing what to do with my command. Sebastian raises an eyebrow at me and I return his expression with a scowl. The bastard doesn't even know what he's doing. He killed Datura. He basically just killed me.

"No," I shake my head, letting out a trembling sigh.

With a sharp intake of breath, I release the power and allow it to speed through the air hitting every insubordinate creature in its path. I've never seen destruction happen so beautifully. Black, vein-like patterns scourge the earth like the most intricate spider web. Life has been taken from each creature, blade of grass and plant until they withered to the grown in nothing but black dust.

They're dead. All of them.

The amount of power used causes me to collapse to my knees and release a painful grunt. It's taking its toll on my heart and mind, draining my body of all energy. I thought wrong about my power. Instead of taking the energy for myself, I'm pushing it all out. It's also killing me in the process.

"I think that's enough, love," Valentine whispers in a soft voice. The vibrations of his deep voice causes me to shiver, making my eyes droop down to a close. With a long drawn out sigh, I stop and let my shoulders drop along with all power and destruction from my hands. He places his hands on my shoulders and squeezes the tense muscles on my neck and back.

"It's over," he mutters under his breath while pressing his forehead against mine.

A single, bloody tear drips from the corner of my eye and down to my lips until it drops on the back of his hand. His eyes examine my face from my eyes to my lips and he frowns. Valentine caresses my neck and chin, trying to comfort my obvious disdain for what has happened. His disheveled hair casts a subtle darkness over his beautiful face and I forget about the battle, my death and the destruction I laid waste. Our connection holds us together. In a sea of Black Death are his majestic stormy eyes, reflecting the eternal heavens.