Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal

"A deal?"

"Yes." I nod. "I will help you end Datura's rage and life and you..." I pause. It was hard to say out loud than think it. "Will help me end mine."

The words escape my mouth like smoke. Slowly, staying in place then quickly evaporating in air. There was a silence between us. Valentine's expression was unreadable and his stare was blank.

"End your life?" His words were not louder than a whisper. He releases me and we rise from the ground. My heart was pounding widly in my chest and I became keenly aware that he could hear it.

I straighten myself and gulp. "Yes, I have no reason to live anymore. My life ended decades ago. I am living a life that is no longer mine and you can help me."

"Saphira, do you realize what you're asking me to do?"

I clamp my mouth shut to remain silent. A drop of water falls from the sky and lands on my cheek, running down my face. I open my palms to feel the rainclouds release millions of droplets onto my skin.

"I know what I am asking. If you want me to help you, I just ask for that one thing in return."

Valentine's jaw clenches and his eyes turn pitch black. I furrow my eyebrows at this.

"Why are you like this? A week ago you wanted to kill me and held me hostage. Now you hesitate to do so," I ask with a stronger force than intended. I step closer to him.

His eyes flash red with anger and I was lifted off of the ground with an invisible force. "Don't tempt me."

I laugh, "you can do better than that."

I rise higher until my face was level with his. His perfectly chiseled face held a deep secret that he has yet to tell me. Still, not a single word came out of his darkened lips.

"Do you intend to keep me forever, Val?"

"I was thinking a few decades but that works just as well." His face had an indeniable hint of cockiness and a huge smirk.

"For what?" I spit.

"We'll save that conversation for a different day." He blinks and I float closer until our faces were only inches apart. "I accept, but with one condition. I kill you myself."

His words hit me hard and enveloped my heart in a tight embrace. Why am I feeling a sudden hesitation towards my decision?

"Then it's a deal."

"Don't you know never to make a deal with a vampire?"

I shrug. "I'll take my chances." A bleak smile curves on my lips. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

He exhales and his sweet breath hits my cool, damp skin. He inches closer as if to kiss me but just as our lips brush I drop from his hold and fall into his awaiting arms.

"Despite contrary belief, sweetheart, I do know how much this means to you. It just means more to me that you don't die."

My hand was dangerously close to his bare skin and I recoil, realizing the damage I could do with a single touch. I can't do that to him, not anymore. Valentine shows a little bit of his true self the more I am kinder to him.

"So, are you going to put me down now?" I could feel all of the muscles on his torso flex as he thought about it.

He prepares himself to lower me. "I don't know. Do you promise not to run again?"

"Have you not learned?"

He sets me down anyway. By this time, we were drenched from the heavy rain. My dress was clinging to my body and Valentine's shirt outlined his perfectly toned chest. I couldn't deny that I was physically attracted to him. It takes decades to meet a man with so many appealing qualities.