Ch. 41 - Thick

Thank you for your patience, you guys rock! 

Don't forget to vote and comment. I love seeing your comments, they make me smile. :) 

***

Evil comes in many different forms. At this moment I am staring one of them in the face. My patience is wearing thin and my desperation is doing the opposite. The temperature in the room has lowered to freezing and you can see frost form on the edges of every surface.

I'm the type of person that does not cower under immense pressure but this is making my blood boil. The amount of power in the room is quite thick, but it's a like a net full of holes - there are many points of weakness. It's also the kind of power that can be easily brought down to its knees. Oh, how I want to bring Datura down to her knees, begging for mercy, begging for life.

"Let her go," Valentine demands with a feral, angry growl. His eyes have turned pitch black and a darkness is quickly spreading all over his body and surroundings. I can feel his anger crawl over my skin like spiders.

"Why would I let her go? She betrayed me and led me to my death," Datura says as she gives her sister a deadly stare.

Without a flinch or even a single blink, Ari stands straight and returns her sisters look with a stare of her own. You can see her stress on her face but she remains upright and regal as if this is just a normal occurrence for her. Maybe, she has been preparing for this. I don't doubt it - Ari knows everything.

"You already have Lucius, why keep killing if you have what you want?" Valentine asks, wanting to know the same kind of information that has been floating in my mind.

Lucius' face twists into a scowl and he gives Valentine a dark and terrible stare. The tension between the two of them is definitely the kind that you want to get out of quickly.

"Because, brother," Lucius says. "Vampires are the most inconsiderate, murderous and vile creatures to live on Earth. The world is better off without those bloodsucking monsters."

I purse my lips at his comment and cross my arms over my chest. How long is this charade going to last? I can think of other things I could be doing that this moment besides this pointless debate over love lost and wars fought.

"You are no brother of mine, Lucius," Valentine snaps. "And you forget that you are a vampire yourself. Father and mother gave you everything yet you repay them with all this destruction."

"Father and mother denied me the thing i wanted most," he shouts, making the floors vibrate. "Let me remind you that you were the one that ended their lives along with the entire vampire monarchy!"

I grind my teeth and try not to overreact to his bullshit of an answer. The all too familiar feeling of dark energy zaps through my entire body, like race cars on a speedway. It rapidly courses through my body until it begins to pool in my chest and limbs.

With what looked like a lot of force, Lucius takes Aria and presses her against Valentine's invisible barrier.

I gasp loudly and scream, "No. Don't touch her." My hands start to shake and Valentine holds one of them to try and calm me down. It does little to help and now I am more stressed about him than anyone else in the room. I can kill everyone here, including him.

'We can do this, sweetheart.' My eyebrows knit together and I turn my head to face him. His magnificent, blue eyes are glowing and looking straight into mine. I hear his beautiful voice in my head. This is the first time I've ever heard him in my mind and I don't know if it's because of his abilities or our connection.

I breathe in and nod, acknowledging his comforting assurance. We can do this and we will. He squeezes my hand tightly and we both turn back our attention to the terrible couple.