Ch. 25 - The Truth

Here it is, the moment you have all have been waiting for.

***

"I can't resist, his soul is like a butterfly trapped in a cage full of thorns. A poor fluttering creature in a sea of sinister smiles."

***

History often repeats itself when there is a lesson that needs to be learned. Sometimes history does not only remind you of what had happened but it also warns you of the future. I have always been fascinated when it would happen, but I feared of the drastic change it brought. I have witnessed history repeat itself many a time and now I am actually a part of it.

Goosebumps riddle my arms as I look between the two of them. My eyes lock with a pair of frantic eyes that seem to be burning through me. Valentine is deeply taking my presence in, like a lover longing for their lost soul. For a moment no one speaks and I feel as if I'm drowning. The pressure in the room is like swimming in the deep, it's completely deafening and I want to shatter the silence.

I open my mouth to speak but everything around us starts to shake and collide with one another. The large room is a battlefield and I'm right beside the grenade.

I hear multiple confused whispers behind me and concerned individuals. Their overlapping voices aggravates the panic that's rising quickly from my abdomen. I hear vampires run toward us.

"No, no one interrupt, this must happen," I hear Ari behind me say. I take a quick glance behind me and I see everyone's concerned eyes. Ari, Sebastian, Vladimir and even Astor are all here and my heart suddenly drops.

They're here to watch us all die. To watch us end this eternal fight.

I turn my head back to Valentine and Augustine. What does it take to make them stop, to make them realize what they're doing? Just when I thought everything would get better, it gets infinitely worse. I inhale a short and sharp breath as I feel a hard impact against me. There was no object though, no physical harm - or so I thought.

I lift a hand to my face and feel blood start flowing from my nose to my mouth. I cough and specks of blood litter my hand. Not this again, I've had enough pain and bleeding in the past twenty-four hours.

With a slow and shaking hand, I reach out to Valentine's exposed and rather firm neck. His cold skin surprises me and I take his face in my hands, smearing my blood where ever our skins touched.

"Valentine," I whisper both firmly and gently.

"Scarlett," he gasps painfully.

My eyebrows meet together in confusion and I shake him gently. "No, it's me, Saphira. Are you alright?"

He closes his eyes and removes my hands from his head. "How could you do it? Why did you choose him over me, why did you turn your back on what we built?"

"I-I don't understand, I don't know what you're talking about," I drop my shoulders but my fangs come out in desperation.

His expression looks like a reflection of a broken soul seeking for answers, seeking for reconciliation. Never have I seen him look so lost. "I loved you."

Those three precious words sound so desperate, so broken it didn't seem real. This probably is not real at all, I'm just dreaming. "Loved me? Augustine what does he mean?"

Valentine's gave never did meet mine. I cannot tell what he is thinking at the moment. I look back to Augustine, hoping to get some answers and to sop this nonsense.

Augustine laughs and the vein on my temple throbs. "He never told you, did he? It all makes sense now."

I face my former lover and barre my teeth at him. "Never told me what?"