Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun

Dedicated to @pettybrowngirl for being such a constant voter and commenter. Love ya, girlie. :)

Feel free to vote and comment! I love reading what you guys think.

***

May the stars blaze in your heart like an ever-burning flame.

***

All this nonsense is having me pace back and forth in my quarters, planning on how to kill Valentine. I want to disprove it - that he is impossible to kill. Others say they tried but never succeeded. Under the same roof, I had somewhat of an advantage.

Somehow, he has found a cure to the poison in my blood just like he has found a way to get me within the borders. I want to know how he is doing it and most of all, I want to know why he is so keen on me becoming a vampire.

My hair is filthy and my clothes dirt-ridden, so, I don't think twice before cleaning up. I washed all thoughts down the drain and swiftly walk to the wardrobe where dresses and shoes are waiting to be worn. I reckon the vampire realm still has not gotten past the Gothic ages or maybe Astor hasn't had a woman in his home for a while. I opt for a satin sleeping gown in the wardrobe and let my hair hang loose in curls.

I look outside, the velvet sky turned from a dark blue to a lighter shade as a sign that dawn would soon arrive.

My body feels worn and tired, but before I head to bed, I want to test a theory first. Vampires burn at the impact of rays and I yearn to know if the same will happen to me.

The thick curtains cover the windows with darkness but after a few moments, a glimmer of sunlight peeks through. Sunrise has arrived and it's a perfect time to test any of these insane claims the vampire has over me.

Without thinking twice, I sweep the fabric to the side until a considerable amount of light shines in the room. It's strange to see how bright everything can get during the day. Slowly, I let the rays caress my skin.

"Ah!" Obviously, it was a cruel mistake and I should not have done it. My skin began to boil and smoke climbs into my nostrils. I scream briefly but muffle it by biting on my lip. The heat stings and feels as if my skin would melt and I quickly cover the windows with the heavy material.

"Dammit," I curse and rush to the bathroom where I run my hand under cold water. The water didn't do anything to help heal my skin, it just alleviated the harsh and stinging pain. I look up and gasp at my own reflection. The mirror reflects a woman different from what I remember - her eyes are sullen and her skin pale.

Impossible. On top of what has happened my skin does not heal as it should.

Frustrated, I use my senses to scout for Valentine's room. Once I am able to smell his unforgettable musky smell, I kick the door open and ignore the fact that he is already asleep. "What have you done to me, Valentine?"

He bolts from his bed, shirtless and groggy from sleep. I fight back the urge to jump into the bed and join him because I know it's just because of the stupid bite on my neck. "Explain to me why you've woken me at this hour?"

"Explain this," I expose my injured hand.

Valentine runs his hand through his messy hair and looks up to me with a disappointed look, "You ask me what I've done when you are clearly aware of it." Valentine grabs my arm and examines the burn thoroughly, his touch giving me unnecessary tingles.

"Why the hell am I not healing?" I want to scream at him, but it will only make the situation worse.

"Newborns are weaker once bitten, your body is dying. The only way for this to heal is to drink blood," he sits up, exposing the rest of his toned and very muscled torso. My eyes trail shamelessly down his neck, chest, abdomen, admiring the way every inch of him is carved to perfection. "My blood."