Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand

The picture above is a drawing I did a while back of Saphira. :)
IG : hannahpatrixia1
Follow me.

~Valentine~

I stare at what used to be the bathroom. It looks like burned and withered roses, displaying the magnitude of her powers. Saphira lays asleep on the bed - her body hidden under a mountain of sheets and pillows. I was tempted, many a time, to crawl in and warm her cold body.

I can still feel her body pressed against mine and her lips tangling with my own. Every moment with her has me wishing that she was in my arms.

Saphira has been in a deep slumber for a lot longer than usual. Despite the three humans she fed on the day before, she is completely drained. I, on the other hand, am still trying to conveniently wrap my head around our circumstances. Many matters at hand were running rampantly around us, waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

New things are appearing every day and unfortunately more will come. Although she knows quite a bit, there is still more for her to know - some, inconceivable and some, instinctual.

"How is she doing?" Amaryllis comes up behind me and gracefully stands by the bed. Our voices are barely whispers.

I look down at Saphira's sleeping figure and frown. "Her breathing and heart rate has regulated. As for the others, I can't really know until she wakes," I say while trying to listen to her steady heart beat.

Amaryllis gives me an amused smile. "I am a witch, you know. I can fix her up before you can blink."

"And you remind me every time." I laugh and lean against the wall. "I don't think it will do much more, Ari, she seems pretty stable. But thank you."

She straightens her body and grins at me. "Couldn't you just say that you liked watching her sleep?"

I give her a smirk. "You know me too well." Saphira is beautiful and any man would be a fool to not love her and care for her.

She sits herself down on the foot of the large bed and sighs. There was a silence in the room and I could tell that Ari desired to say something but was hesitant. We have been friends for many years and I am glad to have her on my side. Ari always has a sense of the happenings in my life.

"Yes. A little too well for my liking," she jokes and scrunches her nose. I'm glad there's humor still left in her. "When are you going to tell her?"

My jaw clenches. I know exactly what she was referring to. "When the time is right. She knows too much and doesn't need anymore barriers to keep her from achieving her true potential. She's a ticking bomb."

She turns her head to look at me. "You know, I don't usually meddle with things, especially with your future, but I have a feeling it might help if you told her sooner than later."

Contemplating on her advice, I pace back and forth, immediately thinking of the damage it may cause if I did tell her. "I don't know, I mean, look at her. She nearly killed herself last night and we just kissed. Think of what she'll do if..."

I stop when Saphira rustles on the bed. My voice raises and Ari stands up to confront me. She knows my thoughts about all of this but she also knows the future. Even as a high witch, she glows with humility and caution. "You need to think this through, Valentine, there are many lives at risk. Datura will do anything to end your bloodline and everyone around it. You might think Saphira knows too much, but the truth is, she knows too little."

Her words are like knives to the heart, slicing every bit of exposed flesh to slowly tear it apart. It was an aching reminder of my imperfections. Amaryllis turns on her heels and and proceeds to exit out of the room, leaving me with a waking Saphira.