Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far

As for the GIF, just imagine Stefan as Valentine and Damon as Augustine. ;)

***

"Looking good, Saphira, you make one sexy vampire," Augustine cackles. My attempt to snap his neck was restricted by my mending bones - it still hurts like hell. I didn't know he could even do that. Damn them and their hidden powers.

I don't have many pet peeves, it's hard to tick me off, but when it's that one thing you hate the most, the impact is like a painful bite in the neck. Sugarcoating is one, repetition of noise is another, and kissing ass, well, that one's the worst.

I remember a man that tried to shower me with fake complements once and he never lived to see the next day. It was getting a little too much. Why bother saying something when you're just trying to get on my good side? So, imagine what I'm thinking when Augustine throws a very irrelevant comment at me.

I prop myself up on my elbows, not minding that I'm only in a lacey bra and underwear. I almost died, I could care less about it. Can't say for the two men staring down at me though, their gazes seem to have wandered from my face.

"It amazes me how insolent you are. I fail to see why you're here." I narrow my eyes. "I will not ask again, Augustine."

He sighs exasperatedly. "I came to be of help," he answers.

I grit my teeth and strain to really show my true emotions about this ordeal. "Whatever possessed you to make you come back here? I've known you for half a century and never did I see you care for anyone but yourself."

His hands curl over the marble counter I am lying on and I just now realize that we are in the kitchen with me suffering on the marble counter. What a convenient place to lie naked in. "You can't do this on your own. Just look at what would have happened if I was not here, both of you would be sleeping with the ancients and Datura would have consumed half of the kingdoms by now."

With his face close, I am able to reach him and I take that moment to grab onto his shirt and pull him down. I can see Valentine's amused look on the corner of my eye. "Don't even pretend that you're not on her side. You've kept her from me all these years."

"I only did that to prevent you from getting in contact with them. There is a time and place for everything."

"We both know that that is a complete lie," I scoff. I sit up and swing my legs over the counter to face Valentine. His eyes hold a deep and intimate look that makes my nerves dance wildly under my skin. He is quite a sight to behold after a suffering.

Augustine growls but I am unfazed by it. His nasty attitude isn't something new o me or anyone for that matter. "I may have lied to you in the past, but this is the truth."

"Truth is hard to come by these days," I mutter. I sigh deeply and drop my shoulders - I'm done, tired and ready to rest.

Valentine glides over to me and places his hands on my bare waist. I shiver but my body automatically pulls closer to his, wanting to be surrounded by his warmth. "You're exhausted," he breathes into my neck. "We'll talk with Augustine later, he'll be here a while. You need to rest."

I give him a confused look and he returns it with a feeble smile. "Augustine's presence is on me, I asked him to come."

With a raise of the brow I protest. His hand sweeps the wild hairs that covered my face and cups my cheek. His actions proved to be loving and close - I want more of it. I want him. "Really? Do you both have to do that with me here?" I hear Augustine whine behind me. I roll my eyes and wished for him to depart.

Valentine chuckles deeply. "Then get out."

I smirk and we wait until Augustine has left the kitchen. This is the most impractical place to be intimate with each other but I don't care at all. His eyes roam my face and lock with my own. I can see excitement whirl in his irises and lust drip from his lips.