Ch. 34 - Never Leave

This is it! What you've been waiting for. This is not edited at all. Lol.

***

I stir awake as fingers lightly trail on my bare neck and shoulder. It's a blissful feeling I have missed - a calm serenity within chaos. Stretching out, I run my hand on the smooth cottony surface of the sheets, only to be stopped as I feel a body next to me. I keep my eyes closed, savoring the warmth of his hand as they massaged my tense muscles. I let out a satisfied sigh as I feel a strong arm curve around my waist to pull me closer.

A gentle hum escapes from his mouth as I fold my arms in, with him cradling me against his sculpted chest. Considering our circumstances, this is something I never thought would occur. The feeling is like coming home from and long and exhausting trip. I inhale his musky and minty scent and open my eyes.

Valentine's majestic blue eyes are the first things I see and I couldn't break away from his gaze. Reflected upon the surface of his irises are strong, tangible emotions that strike me - love and compassion. To say I'm sorry wouldn't even cover it, we have hurt each other in so many ways. The tension between us still ever present and I would like to break that barrier, no matter what it takes.

"Forgive me?" He whispers ever so softly.

Those two words enter my mind and float peacefully like feathers fluttering in the wind. I don't let it settle because I should be the one asking that question not him. It was I who was being difficult. He continues to stare at me, waiting for an answer. My heart aches for him, and I long to straighten the lines between us.

"I should be the one to ask you," I reply while reaching up to run my thumb over the wrinkles between his eyes. He sighs and the crooked lines smooth down as his entire body relaxes. "This was all my fault."

I anticipate his answer, feeling nervous and anxious. My heart beats an incomprehensible speed as if it has a mind of its own, wanting so bad to jump out of it cavity to bring life into Valentine's.

"Saphira," he mutters with a husky morning voice. "Whatever you do, whether it be for or against me, you will always be forgiven. My disappointment and past errors brought out the worst in me and seeing you with someone else, especially my brother, triggered my anger and bloodlust. I lost you once and I was afraid that I had lost you again."

"You'll never lose me."

His arms tighten around me. He's afraid that I might run again, that I might lash out and leave him forever. Honestly, I wouldn't blame him because I have no room to talk or even protest. I allowed myself to forget how to love or even treat people for what they actually are.

"Then why do you keep running from me?"

I close my eyes briefly. It's now or never. "I was afraid of not knowing if you loved me or the body that I'm in."

His jaw clenches tightly and I can feel him grind his teeth together. I can tell he's fighting back the urge to tell me to stop thinking about his unfaithful ex-girlfriend whose body I'm in. "Your actions made it look like you still loved my brother, even after all we've been through. Seeing and hearing the two of you made it feel like I was living the past over again."

"Do you remember what I said last night?"

He shakes his head against the pillow. "I don't remember much of yesterday's events. I only remember feeding like nothing could satisfy me."

Some weight lifted off of my shoulders. He wasn't himself last night and that explains his hunger, his accusations and his disregard for what I confessed to him.

"I'm all yours - my body and soul," I breathe out and pull back so I can see his face clearly. I notice the spark that flashes in his eyes and I almost stutter. "Ever since we met, you're the only thing I ever think about and it's driving me crazy. I was envious of the love you had for her."