Ch. 18 - Barely Human

'Funny, you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving.'
Stay by Rihanna

***

I had to hinder myself from reacting immaturely and violently at his offer. The words from his mouth passed through my eardrums like wind - quick and cool. It was enough to raise hairs on my skin. It took a momentous exchange of words to get me to agree.

We arrive at the best restaurant in town. It was a stark contrast from the rest of the dilapidated town. From here, I could smell the sweet nectar fresh from the veins of poor humans. Only the wealthy incarcerated creatures could afford such lavish dining in Talmira. Again, eyes were set on me, but once they noticed the vampire by my side their expressions change. They respect him.

A striking hostess approaches us and Valentine leans in to whisper something in her ear. She nods once and bids us to follow. The restaurant was dimly lit and comfortable. From my observation, we were heading towards a private section of the restaurant, intended for intimacy. I look down at my clothing and somehow feel underdressed. I suggested to change but Valentine claimed this would suffice.

"Just what shall we call this...lovely affair?" I say while sitting down across from him. Candles light his face with a warm glow, supposedly giving us an unnecessary romantic ambiance.

"We can call it anything you want," his voice was low and husky and I wondered if dining with him was the right decision.

I rest my elbows on the table and weave my fingers together. "Well, it's not a date, that much I know."

He counters my actions with his own by leaning forward, over the table, barely grazing the flames with his hand. His gaze locks firmly with mine. Specks of gold dance in his irises as he comes closer. "Then, it isn't a date," he says softly. His gaze slowly falls to my lips. "Just a simple dinner between two civilized vampires."

"I think 'civilized' is an improper term for our relationship."

He raises a brow and tilts his head. "By all means, sweetheart, enlighten me."

"An accurate term would be discord or dissonance, whatever is more despicable," I enunciate each consonant in vain, hoping to emphasize my aversion to our estranged relationship. He smiles and flashes his sharp fangs at my hatred towards our assembly.

"I beg to differ," he smirks. "I think we are more than acquainted."

I scoff. "We're complete opposites, Valentine, we're nowhere near friends."

"Haven't you heard? They say opposites attract." He gives me a smug smile and gives me a wink. It's inevitable, the way people with stark differences are drawn to each other in immense ways. Yet, somehow, when they become one, they become similar.

My heart beat elevates and warmth circulates my body. I could smell the mint rolling off him mixed with the tang of blood. Our banter was interrupted when a waiter comes in with a glasses of wine and blood. My mouth waters suddenly and I feel the pang of my hunger and thirst. I retract my body to give way for the precious liquid.

I lift a glass and Valentine watches me closely as if I were to do something out of the ordinary. But what is ordinary? He takes the blood and mixes it with his wine. I use the moment to commence a different conversation with him.

"You look at me as if you know something I don't," I say while twisting the goblet in my hand.

"I was just admiring you, it's quite captivating," his voice was deep and penetrating making my heart pound harder against my chest.

I sigh and lick my lips. "I know that's not the sole reason," I say. "You are full of secrets, Valentine, and I intend to know all of them."

"How, do you suppose, to accomplish your feat?" He leans closer. Our faces only a breaths width away.