Ch. 40 - Secrets

Alright, Valphira lovers, thank you so much for your patience, here is chapter 40!

We have officially hit 108k reads and 5k+ votes! *throws confetti and candy*

Me: *cries* Take it all! You are all amazing!

Valentine: *flashes abs*

Me: Ahem, we did not discuss this...

Valentine: I know ;) *flashes more abs then just takes shirt off*

Me: Excuse me!

Valentine: Shh.... *shoves chocolate in Hannah's mouth* Just let it happen

Me: Why you little...

Leave me comments and votes! LOVE YOU, my babies! <3

***

When someone tells you to stay, you stay. But not in my case - when someone tells me to stay, I deviate from the order. I'm a half-vampire with years of training and he thinks he can just keep me here, like a fragile babe. I know his intentions are good, but I just can't sit here sulking while everyone goes off to get killed.

Trust is definitely hard to come by, especially when the person you trust is the same person that can ultimately hurt you the most. Valentine knows me well and when those words came out of his mouth I wanted to slap him into the next week. His eyes glowed with a fierce anger as I protested against his decision. We both look like we could kill each other at that moment, because of our conflicting interests.

"You know what I can do," I say, not wanting to listen to him. "and you know damn well that my skills are equivalent to a dozen of those vampires combined."

"I am well aware of what you can do, sweetheart," he replies through his teeth. "I just don't want Datura to get her hands on you again. With Lucius alive, we have little chance of winning - not only can he slow time, he can get into your mind and make you kill everyone around you.

"How were you able to kill him the first time?"

"I stuck a poison dipped stake into his heart while he was sleeping," he says with a dark expression, evidently not wanting to remember the night he killed his own flesh and blood. "I had Amaryllis help me get through the borders. I was going to kill Datura but she wasn't there, she was sleeping in a different room. Strange, really."

I narrow my eyes and tilt my head to the side. If Datura loved him so much, why sleep in different rooms? Why is Datura obsessed with killing off the Royal family if she was able to bring him back to life?

"Very strange." I give a short response not knowing what to say because I'm still trying to grasp everything that has happened. What more can happen in one day?

It is definitely strange and rather surprising. More and more secrets and the damn vampire waits till the last minute to tell me.

Maybe, if I bargain with him, he'll tell me more.

"I'll stay if you tell me exactly what happened that day. I know many died, but everything is still like a broken puzzle." If he cares about me he will tell me more of what happened. I can't be kept in the dark this long.

Valentine breathes in deeply and he exhales loudly. 

"Okay," he says. "I guess it's time you knew."

"It's long overdue," I say honestly. "but I'll take it."

Valentine steps away from me and he places his hands in his pockets. I study his body language intently, wanting to know why he's so nervous. What did happen that day that makes him so anxious? I cross my arms and lean back on the wall, waiting for him to speak. I'm all ears for what he has to say.