Ch. 3 - Double Agent

Dedicated to LaurenDodge for her amazing comments and support!

***

'Darkness dispels when light enters for the darkness is too shy to face its weakness.'

***

One thing I envy about humans is their short life. They, being mortal and completely vulnerable, know that their lives would end at any minute so they spend every waking moment taking advantage of every opportunity available. They have their entire life planned to make the most of it and to make everything worthwhile - they grow up, attend school, get married, have children and most of all they fall in love. They don't just fall in love with their companion but with every living thing on earth. They may not know it but it's true.

A ring from my business line wakes me from a despicable fantasy and I am forced to answer, knowing full well who it is. "Chelsea, did I not specifically ask you to never disturb me at this hour?" I groan inwardly and quite immaturely at her disturbance.

"My apologies, Saphira, but your presence is needed at the New Years Eve Gala tonight," Chelsea, my agent, replies frantically through the speaker.

"Tell them I am not available."

"Sweetie, you haven't shown your face in public since your last book release, people are starting to wonder where you are," she insisted. No matter my reason, Chelsea did seem to find a way for me to agree with her.

"I could care less about them. I'm an author, not a movie star."

"No more excuses, Saphira, I've already confirmed your attendance. Wear something acceptable and please behave. A limo will be at your door at ten-thirty. Don't be late."

"Remind me why I hired you again?" I snarl through the phone but she knows I am joking. I end the call and sigh at another horrid day of playing pretend.

I glance at the clock and see that I have two hours until it starts. Going back to the flower I was twisting in my hand, I bite my lip at the sensuous thoughts I was imagining earlier. It is quite hard to get rid of these thoughts. I crush the flower in my hand until drops of blood stain the silk robe I threw on. The blood dripping slowly gives me a vivid flashback of the night I first encountered Valentine.

As soon as I am ready, I climb into the black limo waiting in my driveway and make my way to the gala. Something I despise about humans is their ability to magnify situations and create ways to foolishly spend their hard-earned money on things they don't need.

I silently curse Chelsea as I make my way up the marble steps wearing a black silk gown. The venue is an old mansion set on a hill, facing a beautiful view of a green valley. From this distance, you can already hear the music that served as a celebration to welcome the new year. This is not as mandatory as showing up for a council meeting but I need a distraction, these foreign emotions are as intermittent as rain in July.

As soon as I step in, eyes dart to me, I did not exactly arrive on time but nevertheless, I did. Tonight, I chose to wear a black dress with a jeweled necklace that drips down my neck, running as red as the blood that flows in their veins.

"Good, you actually made it," the brown-haired woman says. Chelsea examines my appearance with tired eyes. She looks as if she is about to fall over in exhaustion. "You look stunning, though."

I give her a warm smile but it quickly turns to a concern for her. She works too hard and is too loyal. Of all these years, I have never heard her complain or seen her give up, no matter how busy my book releases have been. I don't know why she does it. "Chelsea, what are you doing here?"