Ch. 10 - Falling

More truths unfold when under pressure or when the one possessing integrity comes and breaks the glass. The angelic vampire wanders over to me and stops a foot away. Her eyes, gleaming with royalty, studies mine.

The woman in front of me holds herself high and is dignified beyond words. Her ruby lipstick was drawn perfectly on her lips. She's beautiful, much like her brothers.

"Cassandra," Valentine calls out. "What are you doing here?"

She neglects the question I want to know myself and keeps her eyes on me. "I see why he's kept you. What is your name?"

"Saphira." Everyone seems to know, besides me. I absolutely despise being kept the dark, it sums up the entirety of my existence.

"How did you find me?" The angry vampire squeezed himself into our encounter, I raise my brow at him.

Cassandra's head jolts to her brother. "Do you really intend for me to answer that question, Valentine?" Her answer was that of an annoyed sibling and Valentine softens his composure.

"Saphira, I apologize you're stuck with him, he's quite a bit to handle. I'm Cassandra if you didn't catch that earlier." She offers with a warm smile.

I return her kind gesture and look at my maker. "Yes, a bit. It's my pleasure." I echo Valentine's question. "But to what do we owe it?"

"Thought you'd never ask." She smiles. "Come, have a seat, we'll discuss over a glass of wine."

Her blue dress gracefully drapes over her perfect figure and falls into a sophisticated heap on the floor. I could feel Valentine's anger and anxiety seeps off of his skin.

"How are you, dear brother?"

"Splendid, your Highness." His voice has a playful but loving tone to it. "I might ask you the same."

I process his remark. She's the Queen. My interest in her peaks a few notches. With this new information, all that Valentine confessed to me is nearly void. Her straight white teeth shine when she grins. "You know how it is. I am terribly busy but overall, I am good."

My ears twitch when she said the last word, it was similar to that of a liar. A clue, maybe? I may just be over thinking due to her unexpected visit.

"I came here for two things," she says, going straight to the point. "One, to see you," she points at Valentine but looks at me. "And two, to invite you to a ball."

Valentine fidgets, uncomfortably, in his seat and Astor leans forward, waiting to hear more. "You know I can't," Valentine mutters between his teeth.

She flicks her hand. "You are always welcome in my house. Besides, it's a Masque, no one will recognize you."

His eyes flash with tension, "I have not been there in over a hundred years."

"Precisely."

An unintelligible sound escapes from my lips. "If I may, what is the occasion?"

"Nothing really, just a means to establish relationships."

"Who attends these lavish balls?" I continue, trying to figure why she would do this now.

"Friends, family, and royalty from other kingdoms."

Valentine scoffs, "more the reason why I shouldn't come. Why now, Cassandra?"

Her expression changes, quickly, from serene to apprehension. She still holds her ground although her brother does the opposite. "I'm trying to help your cause, Valentine." She yields for a few seconds, swallowing what she is trying to say, " Datura has returned, we believe she will be there."