Ch. 23 - Breathless

Thanks for reading, guys.

***

'What lingers in the shadows are twisted smiles and blackened hearts. We are always attached to the shadows we bear, but we're bigger and stronger than we ever were.'

***

Lucius stares back at me with an equal amount of fascination and disdain. His blue eyes glow with an unusual brightness, like beacons in the night. I stand to acknowledge his presence and he approaches me with lingering footsteps.

"No, I don't think we have, actually," I give Datura a small answer.

She looks at the two of us with a placid expression. "Then you have plenty to catch up on."

Lucius stops just a few feet away and graciously bows, a gesture that gives me a cold feeling through the spine. I never thought this would have, didn't even cross my mind. Being Queen will have it's ups and downs and I'm sure I will benefit from it in the future, but we need to focus on what happens now. What can I do with this new title to bring her house down? With a monarchy like hers, I can do what I need to put an end to this without putting multiple lives on the line.

The undead king rises, letting me examine his face in better lighting. He is handsome, much like his brothers, but his eyes hold a deeper, more sinister countenance - one that will make you cringe. Even though they are not present, you can easily tell his advantage of height over his siblings. I can think of many words to describe the ambiance of being in his presence - comfortable and amity are not included.

"Ah, the face that ended the 'crimson curse,' pleasure to finally meet you, dear."

I wait a few seconds to speak, being in his presence gives me great discomfort. He is inexplicably unearthly - as if I'm surrounded by the angel of death. His voice is gravelly and deep. He's supposed to be dead, how is he alive?

"The pleasure is all mine," I reply with forced politeness. "But I can't help but think we've met before."

He blinks once in curiosity then his eyes quickly flick over to his Queen and they exchange a knowing glance. "Perhaps in a different life, some have more than one."

"You're right, I would have remembered anyways. Life is an anomaly in itself. What irks me is the fact that you are living, I've heard many stories and you surviving is not one of them."

He smiles, but I can't distinguish if he is really who he says he is. "Yes, from what I can recall, I rose the same way you did, through blood and moonlight."

I nod, trying to understand. "His resurrection, was a little more tricky, though, it took quite some time," Datura, this time, speaks.

He sits me back down and accompanies Datura by standing beside her. His arm snakes around her waist and pulls her close. The image of the two of them, wreaking havoc over the world, burns in my consciousness - they are the King and Queen of hell. I can't have them sit on the throne, they'll drive everyone mad.

The Queen smiles. "What a happy reunion," she says, so, elated. "Now, we can discuss what needs to happen next."

"What is to happen next?" I ask curiously.

"You will lead and show us to the unified waters. It there that you will be coronated during the lunar eclipse, when the treaty is to be renewed. We will rule the world and everything in it, our power will be limitless. All Kings will be at Lavare Immortalis that night and it's our only chance. We will burn this city to the ground. There was a time when all creatures bowed down to one reign, I'd like to take that back."

Her words slice through the cold air like searing blades, hitting me with agility. I curl my hands over the arm rest and dig my nails in the hard wood. She never wanted me to be Queen, she just wanted me to take down the one who could have destroyed her, the one who knew of her plans.