c h a p t e r 7

"What do you wanna do?" I asked Jeremy once we're in my room.

"Let's watch some movies," he suggested and I agreed.

Shifting my laptop from the study table to my bed, we decided on the movie–The Fault in Our Stars.

Halfway through the movie, Jeremy lifted up my wrist to take a look at my palm.

"82 days left," he voiced out. "Did the mark get lighter?" I asked him with a little frown. "I think it did, by a little." I nodded at that, at least there was a little progress.

When the movie ended, I turned to look at Jeremy sleeping like a log, tsk.

I stood up and lifted the covers over him when Jeremy muttered out some incoherent words as he frowned. Is he having a nightmare?

I was about to turn around when a hand tugged on my wrist and pulled me down. "Aah!"

A second later, I was wrapped in Jeremy's arms, our faces nearly touching. I tried to wriggle myself out of his embrace but he was holding onto me too tightly. It was then that I realized—the devil smells like vanilla cupcakes.

"Why does he have longer lashes than me?" I muttered to myself as I scrutinized his face. Unable to control my hand, my finger went to trace his nose bridge. He's really good looking.

Suddenly, Jeremy's nose wrinkled and his eyelids fluttered open, catching me off guard. I stared at him wide eyed. Realising that my finger was still on his nose, i quickly retracted my hand but before I could move it away, Jeremy caught it.

"Were you admiring me?" He asked huskily while smirking. "I...uh...of course not. There was uh...something on your nose. I was trying to get it off," I stuttered nervously. Jeremy looked at me skeptically, but released my hand and I let out a sigh of relief.

"You had a nightmare didn't you?" I asked Jeremy once I composed myself.

"Yeah, but it suddenly stopped, I wonder why," he thought to himself but suddenly focused his attention on me.

"Why are you sleeping next to me anyway?" He asked, looking at his arm around my waist. Flustered, I quickly sat up.

"You should ask yourself that," I told him which he replied by raising his brows.

"You pulled me down," I explained.

He nodded as he listened to me, somewhat lost in thoughts.

"Get up already, I think my mom baked cookies," I told him as the smell of something delicious wafted from the kitchen to my room.

Jeremy's eye lit up at that and he dragged my arm and rushed down the stairs. I rolled my eyes, who was the one that behaved like a child?

"I baked some cookies, help yourselves to them," my mother said with a smile as she exited the kitchen.

"Thank you Mrs Avery, it smells so good," Jeremy said and went to take a cookie from the freshly baked batch on the counter.

"Thanks mom," I shouted as I went to help myself to one as well.

I looked at Jeremy munching on the cookie happily. He really likes sweet stuff.

"Hey sis, who's th–" Came Ari's voice.

"Oh! Jeremy!" Ari said, a little startled.

"Hi, Ari!" Jare greeted.

"Why are you guys together?" Ari eyed us with a frown. I could sense jealousy in her voice.

"He–" I started to say but Jeremy cut me off.

"We just hung out," he told Ari.

"You all only hung out right?" Ari asked, emphasizing the 'only'.

I nodded, "we're just friends, don't worry," I whispered to her and she grinned.

"Then, can I join you guys?" she asked hopefully.

"You guys can hang out together, I have some unfinished work," I told them with a wink and went up to my room, giving them some time together. I didn't want my sister to think that I'm snatching her guy (crush) from her. Jare and I are just...friends. Yes, we're just friends. Nothing else.

I went up to my room to see a new message notification on my phone.

Picking it up, I read the message from Jare.

The Devil: You did that on purpose didn't you?

Me: You bet! ;P

The Devil: ...

Me: Go for it! ;) Don't forget that we only have 82 days left.

The Devil: Fine, wait for my good news ;)

And I shall.

With that, I jumped into bed to catch up on some sleep.

--------------------

When I woke up, the sun was already shining brightly outside the window. I slept through dinner. As this thought came to me, my stomach grumbled loudly.

Time to feed myself.

I went to get a quick shower before making my way downstairs.

"Mornin!" Ari chirped when I got to the kitchen. I replied with a good morning and proceeded to get myself some cereal.

Is it me, or does my sister look like she's on cloud nine?

Ari was smiling giddily to herself as she fried some eggs on the pan.

"Did something good happen?" I asked Ari curiously and she let out a girlish giggle.

Hearing her response, something definitely happened.

"Does your good mood have something to do with Jare?" I asked, teasing my sister as I wiggled my brows.

My sister giggled again at this, but made no attempt to let the cat out of the bag.

I'll have to ask the devil what happened then.

After finishing my breakfast, I went back to my room where I called Jeremy, using my mind, instead of my phone.

"You're looking for me?" Came his tired voice from behind me.

I turned around to see Jeremy lying on my bed.

"Care to tell me what happened between you and my sister?" I asked, smirking.

"What makes you think I'll tell you?" Jeremy replied my question with a smirk of his.

"Why won't you?" I asked with a pout and he laughed.

"Pretty please?" I asked again hopefully.

"We made some progress," he told me.

"Progress as in?" The suspense was killing me.

"We..."

"Come on, tell me already."

"Kissed."

And a pang of something hit me. It wasn't like I didn't expect it; I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

I looked at my palm. The mark was getting lighter. It was progress.

"Grats, the mark's lighter already," I told Jare with a smile.

Looks like getting the devil to fall in love wasn't as difficult as I thought.