c h a p t e r 15

"Oops, I paired Jeremy up with the wrong daughter, my bad," my mom waved it off with a laugh. "So...what brings you here Jeremy?"

"Hey Mrs Avery, I was looking for Ari," he politely said and my mother nodded. "Introduce your boyfriend to me properly next time will you?" My mom told Ari in a low voice as she passed her. 

I went back to my room after that, an uncomfortable feeling settling in my stomach.

I pushed all my thoughts away for the second time that night and went for a quick shower.

When I came out of the bathroom, I was notified of a message on my phone.

Picking my phone up, I checked who sent me the message.

Edward.

Edward: Elle, can I talk to you for a sec?

I frowned upon seeing the message.

Part of me wanted to ignore him, but I felt bad.

Me: What's up?

Edward: Can you come down? I'm outside your house.

I sighed upon reading his message and grabbed a sweater before making my way downstairs.

Edward looked up from his phone when he heard the door open.

"Hey," he greeted me in a soft voice.

"Hey," I answered. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Why are you avoiding me Elle?" He asked me with a frown.

"I...I didn't," I stuttered and looked away from his eyes.

"You're stuttering," Edward pointed out and I sighed.

"Look, I've been busy that's all," I said, still unable to face him.

"You have time to hang out with Jeremy and couldn't spare a few minutes talking to me?" Edward asked and I could sense that he was hurt.

"Aren't we talking now?" I let out another sigh. Talking to Edward really drains all my energy.

"Elle, do you have feelings for Jeremy?"

I looked up at him with a frown. What's wrong with everybody today? There's nothing going on between Jeremy and I.

"No," I answered a little defensively.

"If that's all you wanted to ask, I'm going back in," I told Edward after that and turned to head back into my house but Edward tugged on my wrist and pulled me into his embrace.

"I missed you, Elle," he breathed and I could feel tears in my eyes again. How dare he say that when he was using me to get my own sister.

I pushed him away. "Let go of me, I have no use for you already, you can stop your act. Jeremy and Ari are already dating," I told him angrily and ran into my house, slamming the door behind me.

"Elle, what's wrong?" Ari asked when she saw me but I ignored her and ran up to my room.

"Edward, you jerk! Why did I ever like you?!" I cried into my pillow. I was trying to put everything behind me, why do you have to come and ruin everything? Why am I still crying for a jerk like you?

My tears kept falling down one after another, without a sign of stopping.

I didn't know how long I have been crying, I finally looked up when I felt my bed dip and a hand on my back.

Just the person I would like to see. Not.

"Ari, can you leave me alone? Please," I sobbed and she nodded in understanding before making her way out of my room. As I was left alone again in my dark room, a face came to mind. Jeremy. I wanted to call him here, but I probably shouldn't, he is my sister's boyfriend now.

With my mind in a jumbled mess, I cried myself to sleep.

The next day, I woke up with eyes so swollen that I could hardly open them. Great, just great. Now everybody would know I cried all night.

After splashing my face with ice cold water, I took a quick shower and got dressed for school. After applying some concealer around my eyes to try to cover up the swollen-ness (is there even such a word?), I drove to school, skipping breakfast.

"Elle! I missed–woah, have you cried all night?" Jess asked with concern written all over her face.

"Kinda. I'll tell you after school, we should get to class now." Jess nodded in understanding and we went our separate ways.

--------------------

School finally ended for the day. I was waiting at the carpark for Jess as we decided to go to the nearby ice cream parlour today.

"Cupcakes, why was it so hard to see you today?" Jeremy's voice sounded from behind me.

I turned around to see him leaning on my car.

"You saw me during class. We have all the same classes together," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but you had your head down all the time, I couldn't even see your face. Is something bothering you? You seem moody these few days." He answered.

I shrugged. "Yeah, there's some stuff going on, gimme a few days and I'll be back to normal," I reassured him upon seeing his concerned face.

"If you need a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on, I'm always here okay?"

"Thanks," I gave him a small smile. "Why are you so nice to me anyway?" I asked him.

"Because its you," he said and ruffled my hair.

What did that even mean?

Talking to Jeremy always makes my heart feel lighter.

"Elle! Sorry, did you wait for a long time? I got held back by Ms Brown," Jess said as she jogged towards me. "Nah, its okay," I told her.

"Was it okay cos you've got Mr hottie's company?" Jess motioned towards Jeremy, wriggling her eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and Jeremy laughed.

"I'll leave you girls to talk, see ya around," Jeremy waved goodbye to us and made his way to his car while Jess and I got into mine.

"So...what were you guys talking about?" Jess asked once the car started up.

"Nothing much, just some random stuff," I answered, not wanting to delve into specifics.

"I won't ask what's going on between Mr hottie and you but let me know what happened to you these few days ok?" Jess asked worriedly and I nodded.

"I'll let you know everything later, over ice cream," I assured her with a smile.

Jess deserved to know what's been going on these few days.