c h a p t e r 24

"When are you going to stop avoiding me, Elle?" My sister groaned as I shut the door in her face after making up an excuse that I had to feed my imaginary pet dog.

That's right, I have been avoiding my own sister for the past week. Like a coward. Whenever she made an attempt to talk to me, I'll make up any excuse I can find to avoid the talk.

I knew I was being a bad sister. When Ari was crying and getting past her breakup with Jeremy, I wasn't there to support her through it, but what can I do? How can I look at her in the face and say "its gonna be alright" when I'm the one who caused her to feel so upset?

Besides avoiding Ari, I avoided Jeremy as well. I missed him like hell, but I couldn't face him. Not yet.

From underneath my covers, I heard the door unlock. Damn, Ari must have pried it open. "Sis, talk to me will you?!" Came Ari's frustrated voice once she stepped into my room.

I ignored her and pretended to be asleep , however, it takes more than that to lie to my smart sister.

"I know you're awake. How long are you going to run away? You can't avoid me for your whole life, especially if we live in the same house and go to the same school. And especially if you are my sister." She emphasized the last point. Yes, I know that we're sisters, that's why its even harder to face you.

Seeing that there's no response from me, Ari walked closer to my bed and lifted off my covers. I shut my eyes immediately and continued with my pretense.

Please let my sister think that I'm asleep. Please let—

The chanting in my head stopped when I felt Ari tickle me. Damn. Tickles were my weakness.

"Fine, fi...I'll tal...k," I managed out through the laughing feat. "Good." Ari let out a satisfied smile and sat at the end of my bed.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked, bracing myself for what she was about to say next— to blame me for all that happened or maybe, to accuse me of betraying her.

"Its alright," she began.

"Its alright if you want to date Jeremy." My eyebrows shot up and I turned to face her. "What are you talking about?"

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset when Jeremy broke up with me, but I knew we'd come to this stage sooner or later," Ari said, causing me to frown.

Without waiting for my response, she continued. "From the beginning, I had an inkling that you guys had feelings for each other, but I still tried to get together with Jeremy. I was surprised when he accepted my request to be his girlfriend. He had been nothing but sweet to me all this while, but deep down, I knew that he didn't have any feelings for me. There were no sparks between us."

"I—" I started to say, but Ari cut me off. "Please let me finish." I nodded.

"There were many times when I felt that he was overly-protective of you. Especially since you guys were only friends. Once, there was a bunch of guys who were discussing whether you'll be good in bed, and when Jeremy heard that, he punched them. Also, a few weeks ago, at Trevor's party, when Jeremy found out about how Edward hurt you, they got into a fight."

My frown deepened.

"His feelings for you are real. I'm very sure of it. Don't hold back your feelings because of me. I know that you've been avoiding me because you felt guilty and whatsoever, but it wasn't your fault. Jeremy and I wasn't meant for each other, that's all. You should have seen how Jeremy looked like for the past few days when you avoided him. He looked kinda dead, it was like all the energy has been sucked out of him. As cheesy as it sounds, you're like the battery to his system. Please just speak to him soon, it kinda breaks my heart to see you two holding back because of me," Ari voiced out.

"Thanks Ari, I think I know what to do now," I flashed my sister a grateful smile and bolted out of my room.

I jumped into the driver's seat of my car and made my way to school. Jeremy had basketball practice today and it would end in—crap, 5 minutes.

Please don't leave yet, wait for me. I prayed silently as I sped up and drove as fast as I can to the school building.

A cliff hanger!;) Do you think Elle will be able to meet Jare? ><