c h a p t e r 8

It was the last day of the weekend. Jeremy and Ari went on a date while Zella and mom went shopping.

In other words, the house was empty.

With that thought in mind, I called my best friend's number.

"Hey, wanna come over?" I asked Jess over the phone.

"Sure, be there in 10. I have something to ask you anyway." She replied and hung up.

Exactly ten minutes later, the doorbell sounded. I leaped from the sofa and ran to the door. Jess was standing there holding 2 tubs of ice cream in her hand. I smiled gratefully when I saw that she brought my favourite cookie dough ice cream.

"Here, yours," Jess said as she passed me my ice cream.

"Thanks bestie," I said and gave her a small hug.

After getting 2 spoons from the kitchen drawer, we both went up to my room.

"What did you want to ask me?" I asked Jess after we made ourselves comfortable.

"What's up with you and Jeremy?"

"What?" Her question caught me by surprise.

"Nothing's up. He's just a friend," I replied.

"You two seem to have something going on," she said.

My brows raised at this.

"You guys seem more like friends," she continued.

"He's dating Ari now, we're really just friends," I explained.

"Seriously? I never saw that coming. I thought that you are Jare would get together."

"What? No way..."

"You don't feel anything for him?" Jess quizzed.

"...No, I like Edward, remember?" I answered her.

"Then can't you feel the chemistry?"

"What chemistry? I don't take chemistry," I asked Jess, dumbfounded.

I thought she knew what subjects I took.

Jess rolled her eyes. "Are you playing dumb or what?"

I shook my head.

"I said the chemistry between you and Jeremy."

"Oh...but I don't feel anything like that," I told her, though I wasn't sure of it myself.

"If you say so..."

"Anyway, did Edward and you have any progress?" Jess suddenly asked.

I sighed when I was reminded of my almost-kiss with Edward.

I then proceeded to tell Jess what happened that night and she shook her head. "If you guys are meant to be, it'll happen again," she tried to comfort me.

Jess and I spent the rest of the day lazing in my room, talking about whatever came to mind–mostly celebrity and school gossip.

After Jess left that day, I received a message from...Edward?

I quickly unlocked my phone to take a look at the contents of the message.

Edward: Hey, I was wondering if you are free after sch tmr? :)

Omg.

Me: Sure, what's up? :)

Edward: Do you wannna hang out?;)

Is he asking me out? I mentally squealed at that.

Me: Okay! ^^

Edward: I'll pick you up after sch then. C u in sch tmr;)

Me: C ya :p

That night, I had a hard time falling asleep. I was looking forward to our hang out tomorrow, and at the same time, very nervous. It was the first time the Edward and I hung out together alone, without our friends.

The next morning, I was already wide-awake when the alarm rang. I dashed to the bathroom to get ready, after which, I grabbed some breakfast and was out of the door in no time.

The minutes ticked by slowly. Why was time passing by so slowly?

I was constantly looking at the clock during lessons, waiting for the periods to end one by one.

"You have something on today?" Jeremy asked me in the midst of our biology lesson.

"Yeah, I do," I answered with a wide grin. "How did you know?" I asked him.

"You're looking at the clock during all our lessons."

"Were you...paying attention to me?" I decided to tease him.

He scratched the back of his neck and turned his face away from me. "Not really," I heard him say and I laughed.

"It is going to be a graded project." The teacher's words reached my ear and I immediately focused my attention on her instead.

"You're going to do a report on genetic mutation, your partners are those seated beside you. You have 1 week to complete it."

"I guess you're my partner then?" I turned to see the devil smirking at me.

I guess it won't be a bad idea for him to be my partner. He's kind of smart.

"Can I come over today to start on the project?" Jare asked me and I shook my head.

"I'm going to hang out with Edward later, how bout tomorrow?" I suggested and he agreed.

Before I had time to ask him how was his date with Ari, the class was over.

Which also means...it's the end of school. Whoo! After pumping my fist in the air excitedly, I ran out of the classroom and went to my locker.

Edward: I'll meet u at the carpark;)

My phone sounded as a text message appeared on the screen.

After placing all my books in the locker, I made my way to the car park to see Edward standing beside a black Honda waving at me. I walked briskly to him and greeted him.

I have been waiting for this the whole day.

"Ready to go?" He asked with a smile and I nodded. After opening the door to the passenger's seat for me, he got into the driver's seat and soon, we were off.

"Where are we going?" I asked Edward. "You'll see," he replied with a mysterious smile and kept his eyes on the road.

The next few minutes passed without either one of us saying anything.

It's getting kinda awkward, quick think of something Angelle!

"Uh...how's your tournament coming along?" I asked, trying to break the silence. Edward was in the school's swim team. He has been a very good swimmer since young.

"We're working very hard on it, since the tournament is just around the corner," Edward told me and went on to tell me more about his swim team. I nodded my head now and then to show that I was interested in the conversation.

Its not like I wasn't interested, but most of the time, I didn't know what he was talking about, and I didn't want to ask him and spoil the mood when he was talking so passionately about his favorite sport.

I made it a point to research the terms he used once I got back home.

A few minutes later, the car came to a stop.

"We're here," Edward announced and I looked outside to see where we were.

An unexpected sight greeted me.