c h a p t e r 13

"Hey Elle, you okay there?" Jess asked with a concerned look on her face. "Yeah, I'm fine," I answered with a small smile. As I was about to turn around and head towards my maths class, someone stopped me.

"Elle, can I—" Edward started to say.
No, not now. I can't deal with you now. Jeremy, where are you?

"Oh my, Jeremy! I was looking for you!" I exclaimed as the devil walked pass. Sending Edward an apologetic smile, I jogged towards my lifesaver.

"Elle, what's up? Did you have a quarrel with Edward? Why do you always call for me when you're around him?" Jeremy bombarded me with a ton of questions.

"Uh...no, nothing is wrong. Look, I have something to discuss with you, that's why I called," I tried my best to lie. Jeremy cocked his eyebrows and I was thinking of what "I wanted" to ask him when the bell rang.

"Oh my, class is about to start. I'll talk to you later!" I excused myself and dashed towards my classroom. Thank god. Kids, that is why we shouldn't lie.

The clock ticked by slowly, and although it was only the first lesson of the day, I was dreading to go back home already.

As I was about to doodle on my notebook, a paper ball landed on my table.

I looked around to see who threw it but everybody was paying attention to the teacher.

Picking up the ball of paper carefully, I un-crumpled it to see a message written in a cursive yet neat handwriting.

Cupcakes, you ok? You don't seem that well.

Though there was no indication to show who wrote the message but I knew who did. There's only one person or should I say...devil, who calls me that nickname.

I turned to look at Jeremy who was wearing a concerned expression on his face.

I'm fine. I wrote down on the piece of paper, and after crumpling it into a ball, I tossed it back to Jeremy.

"Ms Avery. Mr Cornell. Do you guys want to share what is written on the piece of paper?" The teacher's voice called out, causing both of us to look at him and for the rest of the students to let out wolf-whistles.

"No thank you sir," I replied the teacher politely and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Either pass me the paper or detention for you," Mr Frank directed the question at me. Talk about unreasonable.

"No sir, I'll not pass you the paper," I defiantly said, not knowing what came over me.

"Detention for you, Ms Avery," the teacher said sternly.

"I'll take that detention. I was the one who passed the note first," Jeremy suddenly spoke up and I turned to him with a frown. Why did he take the blame for me?

"Detention for you both," the teacher huffed and turned his back to us as he returned to teaching. I rolled my eyes at this.

--------------------

I had avoided Edward the entire day, even Jess asked me what's wrong since it wasn't something that I was likely to do. Was me avoiding my (ex) crush that weird?

I reminded myself to tell Jess what happened soon. Jess and I didn't have any classes together and the only time we could meet was before lessons or during break, but I avoided the cafeteria entirely today.

I was grateful when school ended for the day, but I remembered that I had detention. With a sigh, I walked to the detention room . I would have to wait for a few more hours before I could get back to my safe haven.

"Hey, why did you take the blame for me? You could have avoided the detention," I asked Jeremy as I took the seat beside him.

He shrugged. "It was true, I was the one who threw the ball of paper to you."

I was the one who decided to be defiant though.

"Than—" I started to say but Jeremy had already dozed off.

Oh well.

I took a look at my palm. 74 days left. I wasn't sure if the mark faded though, since the intensity stayed somewhat the same. I wonder if Jeremy had asked Ari out yet.

Feeling bored, I took out my notepad and started doodling, which somehow turned into a portrait of Jeremy's serene sleeping face.

Why am I drawing his face? Oh god. I better dispose it before the devil sees it.

However, it was too late. As I was about to crunch the drawing into a ball, Jeremy snatched it from my hands. "What's this?" he asked in a husky voice, causing my heart to leap. Busted.

"Uh...I was practicing my portrait drawing," I lied. "Using me?" He sounded skeptical. "Y...yeah, your face was just in front of me."I heaved a silent sigh as he seemed to have bought my lie. "Can I keep this then?" He asked and I nodded my head uncertainly. "Sure..."

After that, we went on to do our separate stuff, until Jeremy's voice suddenly sounded. "Do you want to have dinner together after this?"

My head whipped to him. "Huh?"

"Quit frowning," Jeremy said as he used two fingers to smooth the frown on my forehead. His touch caused my breath to hitch in my throat.

Since when am I so sensitive towards his touch?

"U...uh, sure," I stuttered and took a deep breath to calm my rapidly-beating heart.

What is he doing to me?