c h a p t e r 16

"Spill the beans. What's going on these days?" Jess inquired after we both sat down at a booth with our cups of ice cream.

"Edward, he­–" and I proceeded to tell her what happened the past few days.

Jess' eyes widened and her jaw dropped as I recounted the events.

"How dare he?!" Jess exclaimed after I told her everything.

"Calm down, its alright. At least, I found out before our 'relationship' progressed even further," I told Jess, air quoting 'relationship'.

"That's why you've been crying right?" She asked and I nodded slowly.

"I can't believe Edward would do such a thing," Jess hissed.

"He's a jerk. I'm glad I saw that side of him," I told her.

"You don't have to pretend that you're alright, you know? It's okay to be sad; it's okay to cry," Jess comforted me.

"I'll get over him for sure. It takes time, but I have a feeling its not going to take that long," I told her.

"Is it because of Jeremy?" Jess asked.

"What's up with you guys pairing Jeremy and I up? My mom thought that he was my boyfriend and Edward asked me if I liked him."

"That just means everyone can see the chemistry between you guys. You're the only one who is so oblivious to it," she explained.

I shook my head. "Jeremy is dating my sister. Officially dating her," I told Jess.

"That doesn't mean you can't fall for him," she teased.

"No way, I won't steal my sister's boyfriend," I stressed.

"How disappointing. I totally ship you guys," Jess said with an exaggerated sigh.

I shook my head at her act.

The mark on my palm caught my attention and I looked at it. 73 days. The mark had surely faded since I last saw it.

This is great. This means Jeremy and Ari are progressing towards falling in love with one another. Its great...right?

After chatting for another hour or so, Jess and I decided that it was time to head home.

I dropped Jess off at her house before driving back to mine.

When I got to my room, guess who was there?

"Cupcakes," he voiced his nickname for me when he saw me enter my room.

"Jeremy, what are you doing here?" I asked, not surprised by his presence anymore. I have gotten used to his sudden appearance in my room.

"I wanted to borrow your palm," he stated.

"What?!" I exclaimed. "What do you want to do with my palm?" I asked a little horrified.

"What are you even thinking? I wanted to see this," he said, amused as he wrapped his large palms around my wrist and took a look at the mark on my palm.

"It faded right?" he asked and I nodded.

He then muttered something that I couldn't make out. The only words that I heard were 'right' and 'her'.

"What is it?" I asked him curiously. "Its nothing, I should go, Ari is expecting me," Jeremy said and left after that.

A minute later, there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said aloud and Ari's head popped in.

"Hey sis, do you have any movies that I can borrow? I'm having a date with Jeremy now," Ari asked.

"Yeah, I have a few," I told Ari and walked over to my drawer to grab the CDs.

"Thanks so much," Ari gratefully said and skipped to her room.

Seeing that I had nothing to do, I decided to watch the television in the living room.

Feeling a pang of hunger in my stomach, I went to the kitchen to grab a pack of chips before settling down on the sofa.

"You should share," someone whispered in my ear, causing me to jump.

I whipped my head round to see Jeremy in a laughing feat.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Its not funny!"

"You should have seen your expression cupcakes," he said in between his laughs.

I rolled my eyes and focused my attention on the yellow sponge.

"You're watching SpongeBob?" Jeremy asked in disbelief as he took a seat beside me on the sofa.

"Yeah, you got a problem with that?" I retorted and he just smiled. A heart-stopping smile, to be specific.

My heart pounded harder in my chest. What's up with me nowadays?

"Can I join you?" Jeremy asked and I raised my brows.

"Aren't you on a date with your girlfriend?" I answered him with another question.

"She fell asleep," Jeremy replied.

"You're welcome to join me in my sponge adventures then," I beamed and brought my attention back to SpongeBob who was now talking to Patrick.

Jeremy and I made fun of how silly SpongeBob was and laughed throughout the cartoon.

We were in our own little world that we didn't notice someone staring at us in discontent.