Chapter 4: savior

"So Sungjee, did you guys date after that or after you got a little older?" The doctor asked.

"Not really. As we got a little older we realized that we didn't wanna ruin the friendship we had by dating. If we broke up we wouldn't be able to be like normal so we kinda decided on our own that that was a bad idea. That didn't stop us from liking each other though or hanging out like normal. We kind of hid our feelings for a while, or at least I did. He always showed his love for me which always made everyone believe that we were dating. And that wasn't very fun since the teasing from annoying kids in our classes was endless. As we entered middle school, the cliques and groups didn't even separate us. We had each made our own little groups of friends but luckily they both got along really well. We all had one thing in common: dance. We all danced together in the streets, at school talent shows, everywhere we could.

One summer when we were 13, us and all of our friends decided to take a trip to the water park. This was perfect since Yugyeom's friend Jake was coming. I had a pretty big crush on him. Next to Yugy, he was the best dancer. This also worked out for Yugyeom since he had a crush on my friend Ailee and she was coming too. We both really wanted to impress them so we wanted this trip to be perfect.

We were all having a great time at the waterpark but my stomach started hurting pretty bad when we got off the water slides.

Two minutes later as we were going to the juice bar to get a drink, Yugyeom came up behind me and back hugged me with his hands around my waist.

'Um, Yugyeom what are you doing?' I ask while looking over at Jake. He saw us, looked down and walked away. Same with Ailee. Crap.

'This is a little awkward to ask but are you aware of when your last period was?' He asked kind of hesitantly.

'I wouldn't know since I haven't gotten my period yet,' I said turning back to look at him.

'Then congratulations! You're officially a women.' Yugyeom whisper shouts. My eyes widened. 'You got your period right now, Jee. And it's kind of obvious. That's why I'm covering you right now.'

I cover my face with my hands. 'Ugh, Yugyeom what am I going to do? I don't have a pad or a tampon or anything!'

'It's okay I'll walk you to the bathroom like this so you can change. I'll just tell them we had to leave early and I'll take you home.' That comforted me a little. Too bad Jake saw Yugyeom and I. He's probably not going to see me the same after this. There goes my chance with him.

Yugyeom did as he planned and we hurried out of the water park and to the bike racks. I had to stand on the back of yugyeom's bike which was really awkward but he didn't seem to mind the situation which was nice.

We finally got home and to my luck, my parents weren't home. Probably since they thought I was going to be at the water park all day.

'Go get changed. I'll be back.' Yugyeom said as he walked back towards his bike.

I took a quick shower and looked around for a pad but there weren't any. Great. And I had no money to go buy some right now. All of a sudden I heard a knock at my door.

'Jee! I got the.. Stuff. I hope I chose the right ones. Here.' Yugyeom said basically gasping for air. He tried to get them as fast as possible.

I opened the door just slightly enough for the package of pads to fit through. I took one and put it on to the best of my beginner's ability. It wasn't as hard as people make it out to be. I quickly ran to my room and changed into some black joggers and a white T-shirt.

Knock knock. 'Sungjee, are you done yet?' I was so I let him in. 'Are you better now?'

I nod. 'Yeah but the cramps are getting worse and worse. Thanks so much! You're like my savior!' I pull him in for a hug and we just stand there for a minute or two.

He starts running his hand through my hair but stops when he comes across a huge knot. 'Do you not brush your hair? Come here.' He sits me down on my bed and goes into my drawer to get my hair brush. He comes back to me and starts running the brush through my wet hair. 'Well hopefully you have some pain medicine in the cabinet. If not, I bought heat patches, chocolate, ice cream, and I got Jake's Netflix password so we can watch movies all night.'

'That's so nice of you, yugyeom. Thank you but you really didn't have to. Plus isn't this a little weird for you? Don't you find it gross or something?' I turned back to face him.

'Not at all. Jee, this is normal at this age. My mom told me. Plus, I told you I would always be there for you no matter what. Remember ? I wasn't going to let you embarrass yourself in front of Jake, even if it means ruining my chances with Ailee.' He gets up to put the hair brush back and takes my hand to stand me up. He leads me downstairs where he has piled a ton of blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals on the pull out couch.

We spent the whole night watching movies and cuddling on the couch. When my parents got home they even ordered us a pizza. Score! You know, after I had to sit through that whole you're growing up so your body changes speech...with yugyeom still next to me. But what's great about him is that he couldn't care less unlike other guys or people in general who would've laughed at me instead of making me feel secure. That's what I love about him.
~~~~~~~~~
The next week at dance class, I went a little early just to work on my freestyle. As I went up to the studio I realized Jake had come in early for the same reason.

I put my dance bag down and walk over to him. 'Hey Jake! That was a really cool move you did just now.'

'Thanks.' He didn't even look at me. 'I gotta go though.'

Before he could walk away, I grabbed his arm and pulled him back. 'Is this about me and Yugyeom at the water park?'

'What else would it be about? I like you, sungjee. A lot. I was even going to ask you out. I thought you liked me too but I guess you were just leading me on or using me to make Yugyeom jealous or something. Guess it worked.' He just completely blew up on me.

'That's not true!' Now I was mad. I hate it when people assume stuff about me. 'Yugyeom was just trying to help me because something came up and he didn't want me to embarrass myself in front of you..cause he knows I like you a lot too. He's just my best friend. Trust me. I've known him for as long as I can remember but it's you who I wanna be with.'

He looked so sorry after I said this. He threw his face in his hands. 'Gosh, I'm such an idiot. I didn't know. But wait.. You really do like me back?'

I come closer to him. 'Of course dummy.'

'Well, in that case, Sungjee will you be my girlfriend?'

I get up on my tippy toes and lightly kiss him on the lips. We both smile as our lips detach. 'Does that answer your question?'"