Destiny Had Other Plans.

Her peers seemed different when she arrived to school the next day. It was like she faded into the backgroud like a forgotten memory, which was just the way she liked it. Laura ran to Beth to share the good news.

"Heather Sinclair sent nude pictures to every contact in her cell phone. Pics ther were ment for Michael Miller. You're old news!" she squealed.

A sigh of relief spilled out from Beth's gut as she hugged Laura and hurried to class. Mr. Inman was right. Beth even stopped in the hall several times on her way to class to discuss the new gossip of Heather Sinclair.

The warning bell rang and students ran through the halls to avoid tardyness. She zigged and zagged to keep from spilling the coffee she just purchased, but when she looked away for just a moment, she felt herself brush against another body and trip. Her coffee went flying through the air. An arm wrapped around her mid-section, and she found herself sitting in the lap of a man, coffee all over the two of them.

She spun around to apologize to the personw ho saved her from falling on her face, and froze. She was only a few inches from the face of the new History student-teacher. Mr. Inman.

The tardy bell rang. From down the hall the two could see Mr. Conklin pointing at them. "Tardies!" he yelled, and slammed the door causing bursts of laughter to erupt from the class. She quickly remembered she was sitting on his lap and crawled off.

"My coffee's on your shirt... and pants... and shoes..." Beth pointed out.

"My yogurt's in your..." he laughed.

"Hair...bra, flip flops?" she finished his sentence.

"Let's go to the teacher's lounge and get cleaned up. he suggested.

She followed him down the hall and into a corner of the school no student was allowed to enter. They washed their clothes off and were given sweatpants and t-shirts by the office secretary.

"And my hair looked really good today," Beth broke the silence, drying her hair with a hand towel over the sink of the lounge.

"Your hair looked good yesterday, and the day before too, like it does now. So shut up," he scolded.

"Do you tell that to all of your studednts?" she couldn't beleive she had said that out loud.

He simply smiled to himself and put their wet clothes in a plastic bag.

When the two entered the room all wyes fixated upon their matching outfits.

"How cute, you guys match!" Mr. Conklin declared.

Beth playfully whipped her towel at Mr. Conklin's leg and took her seat, leaving Mr. Inman to explain their tardyness to Mr. Conklin, and to almost all of the students that were eavesdropping.

"What happened?" Dana whispered.

"He spilt his yougurt on me, I spilled my coffee on him. We had to change," she explained, not moving her eyes from the notes on the board. She had so much to catch up on.

"How romantic," teased Dana. Beth playfully punched her arm and prepared for taking notes.

During lunch Beth and Mr. Inman began to talk and socialize more on a friend to friend basis rather than just a teacher and a student.

They tuned the laptop to ABC to listen to the news and sports reports just as they began talking.

"So... how old are you?" Beth asked, just out of curiosity.