Mixed Signals

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="middle" valign="center">

<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center"><big><big>B</big></big>eth was comfortably sinked into the sofa when the front door whipped open. That could only be Dana. She mozeyed on in and plopped down next to Beth, who was strattling a popcorn bowl.

"Hey. Popcorn?" Beth greeted, keeping her eyes glued to the screen, where the climax of Titanic was flashing across her face.

They watched for a few more minutes, then Beth turned the volume down.

"So I have some interesting news..." Beth announced to her best friend.

"Ooooh! Spill it." Dana turned towards Beth. She loved the sound of 'interesting news'. It was what kept her living. Litterally.

"So... my mom's renting out the Guest House to make some extra money for when I go to college and guess who's living in it?" just as she finished her sentence, Eric entered through the Sliding glass door, dabbing his shoulder with his t-shirt.

"Oh. My. God." Dana whispered to herself, more than Beth. She eyed her teacher, standing there shirtless in Beth's kitchen. "Mr. Inman?"

"Say hello to my new neighbor." Beth added.

"Hello Dana," he smiled politely and made his way to the kitchen searching through the cabinets. "Uh... Where are the glasses Beth?"

"First door to the left, above the sink," Dana answered for her. "I'm over here... a lot... that's how I know these things."

"Yeah...." He pulled a glass down and quickly filled it with water from the faucet. He gulped it down quickly as Dana watched in awe.

"So... what are you girls up to?" he spoke after a deep sigh. "Studying for the big History exam Monday?" he winked.

Dana was actually consumed by all that was him. Maybe it was because she was ouside of class and is just realizing what she's been oblivious to all year, or the fact that he's shirtless, but it was making Beth sick. She and Eric talked for about 30 minutes about everything and nothing. She then looked at her phone and shot Beth a fake pouting face.

"Sorry Beth, gotta go. Mom wants me to meet yet another boyfriend." she sighed.

"Ew." Beth responded.

"Text you?" she called. Several moments later, she was gone, just like that.

"Let me know what she says about me when she texts you." Eric said from the bar stool.

"Cocky much?" Beth muttered. She lounged into the livingroom and continued raping the popcorn bowl while finishing up Titanic.

A moment later, Eric settled right beside of her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, stealing some popcorn.

"What the hell?" Beth yelled.

"Am I making you feel uncomfortable Beth?" Eric joked.

"Seriously!" Beth shrugged his arm from around her and stood up. "I thought you said you'd leave me alone? You break my freaking heart into a million pieces, and then you come over here acting all... not like a teacher? what the hell inman!" she tossed the popcorn bowl at him and stomped away.

"Can't I be friendly and watch a classic television movie with my neighbor?" he yelled up to her.

"Go screw yourself!" she yelled back down.

She couldn't stand it. She stripped down to her underwear and craweled into bed. She cuddled with her laptop, cell phone, a can of Pringles and loud music. She stayed in her bed the entire weekend. She figured if she didn't leave the comfort of these four walls, she wouldn't have to look at Mr. ass-face and his handsome smile. And tight abs, and beautiful eyes. She could stay up here forever, or atleast until she had to go back to school on Monday.

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="100%"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>