Dealing With Rejection

It was too early when Beth's alarm clock blaired. She quickly showered for the first time since Saturday, and paired a pair of short blue jeans with a tank top and a hoodie.

When she said goodbye to her mother and headed out the door, she noticed Eric leaving too. She wasn't trying to be polite, so she got in her car quickly. Obviously he wasn't trying to either because he did as well. They both backed out of the drive at the exact same time. When they reached the end, he kept going, almost backing straight into Beth. She layed down on the horn.

"What the hell asshole?!" she yelled out the passenger window. He didn't move. She quickly threw the car into drive and drove through the yard, down the hill and through the ditch. She spotted the clean pavement on the road with wet grass and dirt, but was finally out before him. She noticed one of the houses across the street no longer had a 'For Sale' sign. It was a small white vinal house with nice flowers and with three bedrooms, which Beth recalled from when Amie Benson lived there. She used to come over and play Barbies after school, up until she moved to Texas in the third grade. Maybe a new family would move in with an attractive son around Beth's age. Yes. That'd be the perfect distraction from all that she has going on right now. She grinned at the thought, and floored the gas, all the way to North Shore High.

When she arrived at school, Dana was waiting anxiously near her parking space, gripping her books so tight her knuckles were wight.

"Heeeey," Dana called from the curb.

"heeeeeeeey," Beth called back, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

"So... What's new at home?" she winked.

"Nothing much..."

"Why didn't you guys carpool, you would have looked SO COOL." And she wasn't even being sarcastic.

"Listen, D, could you keep the whole teacher-living-in-my-guest-house thing a secret? I don't really want very many people to know. You catch my drift?" Beth only called Dana 'D' when she was very serious about something, so Dana quickly shut up.

The girls met with Laura outside the enterance and started into the building. Beth walked noticably slower than usual, because she certainly wasn't looking forward to her first period class.

She motioned Laura and Dana to class while she lingured in the girl's restroom. She checked her hair, face, and make-up- the little she did have on, and her shorts. She turned eying her butt in the mirror. Nice.

The tardy bell rang, and she finally decided on making her way to class. She stopped at the Guidance Office to get a late slip, claiming she was having Menestral Cramps.

She stopped in front of the door and debated opening it. Ugh. She couldn't get caught for skipping class. She pushed the door open. All eyes were on her, just like the very first day. She eyed the room for Mr. Conklin, so she could hand him the note as opposed to Eric, but he was busy. She sighed, gave the note to Mr. Inman, avoiding his questioning glances and took her seat. Dana also looked questioningly at Beth, but she shook her head.

"And now that everyone has decided to join us," Mr. Inman began, letting his eyes lingure on Beth for a moment as he scanned the room. "I'd like to begin with an announcement. The PTA has decided to fund a Junior Class feild trip this weekend."

Aw's and cheers erupted from the classroom. Mr. Inman shooshed them and explained himself.

"The science classes want to do some research for their rock lab thing, and some of the staff thought it'd be nice if the whole class went. Those who aren't involved in science classes, which is all of you if you'r in here, are going to be participating in an obstycle course and a scavenger hunt. You will also be camping, learning to build a fire, and live off of the wilderness." he didn't seem excited. "So... any questions?