Are You Ready?

When the busses finally arrived at a large camp ground along the side of Lake Look Out, students exited the bus and began setting up their tents in designated areas. There were 12 groups from North Shore High, and seven available camp grounds. Groups paired up and shared each camp site. Camp sites were equipped with an open space that fit several tents in it, a small picnic table, an electrical outlet and water supply, (which students weren't supposed to use) and an area for a camp fire in the middle of it all. The camp sites ran along the edge of the lake, and finished at the Main camp ground, where the busses were parked and a large seating area lined the beach of the lake.

Beth took a moment to take in her surroundings. She looked a the obstycle courses that ended on the other side of the main camp, and eyed the water. A single dock floated alone in the middle of their part of the lake, and more obstycles continued from the other side of where their camp was. She also spotted conoes, and admired the beautiful trees and vines covering the shores of the secluded little Lake. She wondered why they called it Lake Look Out if you couldn't really look out from it.

As Groups 6 & 7 completed setting up camp, Mr. Conklin returned from a mysterious absence and gathered the 9 students around him. He handed each of them a blue bandana and a blue, tie-dyed t-shirt he must have bought for quite a nifty penny from the store by the main enterence, which was several miles away.

He instructed them to put the T-shirts on, which they all did right there. The boys simply didn't care if they were seen naked, and all of the girls had tank tops and bathing suits on beneath their clothing. He continued on with a glorifying speech, saying how much the other teams, to put it in his own words "sucked ass" and how amazing the group was.

He continued with a "Who's the greateeesssst?" chant, which earned himself several envious stares from other chaperones, and concluded in a Native American Warrior Dance.

After students were settled in, lunch was served- hot dogs and hamburgers courtesy of Mr. Conklin's cooking- and the 12 groups were instructed to follow the corney, and slightly annoying camp councelor, through the woods and on to secluded trails and pathways no one else knew about.

After a twenty minute walk through the woods, the groups finally emerged on the other side of the lake, where they would begin their obstycle course.

They watched as Mr. Bill Everington, (nicnamed Mr. B) explained to them the obsticle course layed out in front of them.

"First is the Tire Swing Fire Pit." he indicated the 12 tire swings lined up on zip lines along one side of square. He explained that the space between the stage they stood on now and the stage across the way was the pit. No one could take a step in the Firey pit, or they would lose the game. Each member, including the Chaperone, had to get across the 20 yard pit and make it safely to the other side. They would then Climb up "Jacob's Ladder" where they will attach themselves safely to a zip line, and slide the 1.5 mile down the deep slope to the edge of the lake. They will then swing themselves over the mud pit using their upper body strengh and land safely on the other end, also a dock. They would then jump from that dock and swim to the middle of the lake to the floating dock Beth spotted earlier, capture their team number's flag, attach it to one of the near-by rafts that corrisponded with their group number, and swim safely back to shore. There they will climb the rope wall, jump onto the rope monkey bars six feet in front of them, make their way across there, and finish at the end of the water slide. The first team with every member across the finish-puddle first, wins.

Beth's jaw dropped as she eyed the course. There was no way she could do this. She slowly backed up. Right into Dana.

"Isn't this AWESOME!" she said as Mr. B rambled on about more rules of playing fair.