War

"Why won't you just let me do this for you?" Connie shouted, throwing her sword at the ground, it clattering to the ground. Steven stopped. The words. The same words that Lapis said to him so long ago, trying to drag Jasper down, trying to keep him safe.

"Because I'm just...so scared." Steven said. The war was getting so much scarier, so much bigger than Steven had thought it would be. Pearl was nearly mad, trying to plan everything, to try and help him in any way possible. Amethyst was so much more mature now, no longer the same gem that Steven used to joke with and laugh with.

"Why? Why would you be scared, Steven? I can fight." Connie said. Steven wanted to say so many things, to tell her why he was really scared. He wanted to explain to her that this had happened before to him and that it had happened horrible. He didn't want the same thing to happen to Connie.

"Why?"

"Because."

"Why, Steven?"

A pause.

"It's because of Lapis, isn't it, Steven?" Connie asked. Lapis had tried so hard, but until the day that the war started. The day that Steven saw Lapis for the last time, crying and sobbing, trying to keep Jasper down, before her gem shattered, cobalt shards of deep ocean blue floating.

Jasper had returned that day. She contacted Yellow Diamond, and only one hour later whole armies had arrived. Pearl was poofed, Garnet got split, and Amethyst just barely made it.

"It is."

"But I'm not Lapis."

"I know, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen to you."