Chapter 28- Home, bitter home

Makuri knew better than to take the main road home. The dangerous weather made her head North. Through the rolling hills that stretched around Aniellia. This part of the land wasn't used to the tremendous rain. So, her boots left prints in the mushy ground.

She jogged most of the way, only resting when she truly needed it. She hunted small game at first. Little rabbits and birds. Her arrow always pierced through the prey just right. Some nights she had to eat the meat raw. Thanks to the never ending rain she couldn't make a proper fire. It wasn't the first time she had to do something so disgusting. She'd find small creeks and dunk her head under the cool water. She drank until her heart's content. Since, water was more rare in the south she made a horrid excuse of a canister. Filling it full before leaving the the oasis of water.

That all changed when she reached the Enchanted forest. Water and game was plentiful. Fruits hung off a few colorful trees. Of course, she never cared for fruit and she couldn't tell which ones were poisonous, so she refused to pick them.

The night's in the forest were worse than before. She could feel the residence wanting to attack. They waited for her to grow tired and weak. Makuri refused to let her guard down, she kept moving without resting. She never slept during the time in the forest. She ran at night and walked for the duration of the day. Three days she spent in that hellish forest.

By the time she broke the tree line, the rain had stopped it's fall. The sun broke from the clouds, and she could finally see the smoky mountain's break through the horizon. She searched for the tallest peak and found just to her left. If she had to guess, it'd be another day run away. She didn't waste time on guessing though, instead she head straight for mount Rukus.

She darted past the only trail that lead to the Ice Kingdom and swam over the river that went through her home. Once on the other side, she followed the river north. She thought it was better to go straight home instead of going through the town. She didn't want her father to be warned about her arrival. That would happen if she took the road.

Makuri had to crane her neck back to look at the monster mountain. Her straight face dropped into a frown. She was close, only one more day. She began her climb up the face of the beast. Her claws dug into the gray stone for dear life. But, she knew this hidden path well. She had to use it during the war. She carefully placed her feet and reach out to get a little higher. Her breath began curling around her as she reached the colder climate. She began to circle around the gray rock after reaching half way up, carefully taking each step. She glanced down only once and regretted it instantly. She clung to the stone and felt her stomach drop. Makuri shook her head clear of any ill thoughts and continued on her journey. There was nothing else she could do. She rounded the last bit of the mountain just as the sun began to rise. Her hair whipped over eyes and dry snow clouded her vision. She kept moving, nothing could stop her now.

She reached the other side of the mountain when the sun was high above her. Makuri looked down to the nearly white castle. Having it be devoid of the blue color unervered her. It glistened like snow against the sins rays. She took a step closer and watched it spring to life. The blue crawled its way up the walls like newly forming ice. Letting the entire Kingdom know she had returned. Makuri suppressed the power as best she could. Watching it fade into an icy blue. Once satisfied, she continued the last stretch of her journey.

Night had fallen by the time she reached the same ground as the castle. She was running by then. Her muscles burned in agony, but she wouldn't listen. She couldn't, not when she was this close. The tree line paused to reveal a path. A path to her home. She rested her hands on her knees and brought her breathing back to normal. She inhaled and picked up all the familiar scents. Snow, pine needles, wood burning in homes, everything smelt like home.