heartless

third person p.o.v.

Naruto sat on the edge of his bed staring out the window of his apartment. The moon had illuminated the village, bouncing off of every surface, creating a beautiful image. Even the village people could see this as they smiled with glee, enjoying their night.

He couldn't help but smile too.

It was rare for him to smile nowadays, and it felt foreign to him. Naruto's friends would've loved to see him smile, it had been so long since they had last seen a genuine smile from him.

Naruto could hear the little kids scream in excitement as they ran and played games with their friends while their parents huddled together, whispering about an event that took place that day, October 10th, 18 years before.

'Can you believe it's been 18 years since it attacked?'

'They say that boy became a ninja'

'It's all his fault we lost Lord Fourth'

Naruto stood up from his bed, walking closer to the window, listening to the conversations of the adults and he finds himself hurt by their words. Afterall, 18 years ago, he was born, and the Fourth Hokage died.

"Mom, Dad, don't be sad because I chose not to celebrate my birthday. Besides, I'm not really alone" He whispered, looking up at the moon, hoping they heard him.

His parents died the day he was born during the attack of the Nine-tailed fox. He never got to have a family, some days that eats at him, others he is at peace with it.

Besides, Team 7 had become his new family. Sakura was like a little sister to him, one that he would gladly die to protect. Sasuke acted in place of an older brother, one he looked up to and sought recognition from. Kakashi, although like a father to the other two, was something entirely different. He considered Kakashi family, but there was something more, a new feeling he had never felt before.

"You made me this way, Kakashi" He whispered as he looked out the window, finding his teammates, Sasuke and Sakura, together.

They were holding hands, Sakura laughing so hard her eyes closed while Sasuke looked down at her lovingly. Although Sasuke wasn't one to show affection, it seemed Sakura was the exception to this.

Naruto felt a tiny burst of pain in his chest as he watched just how happy his two best friends were.

He could have been down there, with them, laughing his ass off with the two, but his heart had grown colder since he was a young innocent genin.

Things could have turned out differently if only he had loved Hinata the same way she loved him. However, life was against him in every way.

"I wonder what would have happened if you stayed instead of going on that mission" The man whispered as he walked away from the window, unable to watch his friends any longer.

He wanted to cry as he brought up the memories of Kakashi leaving for a mission, for dating Yamato after the war, but he couldn't. The only thing preventing him from crying was that once he did, he knew he wouldn't be able to stop.

"I just wanted to tell you how I felt you bastard! You made me this way!" Naruto punched the wall next to his window, cracks spreading throughout the old wall like a spider web.

Anger ran through his veins, boiling his blood, and punching a wall wasn't enough for him. He walked over to his bed, picking up each of his pillows, ripping them open as white feather burst out.

Suddenly, all the years of pain he endured, the anger he never let out, came racing out of him like water from a breaking damn.

He smashed glasses, turned over tables, broke pictures frames. He screamed and he screamed, letting the anger take over his body until the adrenaline left his body, and he was nothing more than an empty vessel on the ground.