13 | Sleep

Sleep

Naruto's P. O. V.

I raced towards the location of Pain. My heart raced at the sight of people lying on the ground, many of them didn't move. I cursed myself for not coming earlier. I cursed myself for not being able to protect my own village. The scroll on my back felt heavy, and I almost wanted to leave it. But it was crucial for my plan. So many homes had been destroyed. So many lives were lost. Why did the village have to suffer because of me? Why did this village have to be put through so much because of me?

Slugs of blue and white started to appear and cover the slightly moving bodies. I smile and look up a little. Tsunade was healing the villagers, meaning she was ok. I felt some of the mental weight go away, but another thing weighed me down. I prayed that my special someone was ok and alive. But fate always did the opposite of what I wanted. I ducked under a metal bar, which probably was used for a house. My eyes darted around, a yellow orange color probably forming around them now. I would use natural energy to find his chakra signature.

"There you are.."I whispered out loud to myself. My feet went faster, and all I could do was smile like a fool. But the bad energy was very visible, and it was close to him. I frowned a bit, and prayed I got there on time. That would almost be funny if I was late. But in this case, it would prove to be fatal. I could see clouds of smoke appear, and the outlines of bodies started to come into my sight. One of them had on the black robe with red clouds. The other was a tired out Jounin.

"Kakashi!"I yelled out as ran to him. His eyes lit up, but quickly changed back to fear. He shook his head, and yelled no. I ignored him and continued to run towards him. I would protect the people I love, no matter what the cost is. Pain whispered something as he held his hands out, one of them having a black rod. Kakashi's body was pulled forward, and right onto the blade. My heart skipped a beat. No. No. No. No. No. This can't be happening. This wasn't suppose to happen.

"Do you understand pain a little now? If you don't share someone's pain, you can never understand them. But just because you understand them doesn't mean you can come to an agreement. That's the truth. So, do you understand pain?"He asked. My hands shook with rage, and I tried to keep the nine tails at bay. Kakashi was still moving. Kakashi was still moving. Tears flowed from my eyes, and Pain smirked at that. He walked towards me. I didn't attempt to get away from him.

"When you are done, meet me in the center of Konoha."And with that he continued to walk away from me. I ran to Kakashi, not caring if Pain might ambush me. The black rod went through his stomach, and there was so much blood. Blood. Metallic red stuff that I hated. I now understand how Tsunade has a fear of blood. But I wouldn't let fear get the best of me. I still had my precious people to protect. And as long as I had those people I love, fear will not get in my way.

"N-n-nar-ruto?"Kakashi whispered. I thanked Kami for having him still alive. My tears fell onto his vest as I looked into his eyes. One of them being the sharingan and the other was a grey color. I always liked how the eyes were so different, yet held the same look. The same dream. The eye of Obito when he was alive and with Kakashi. I had never asked to much about his deceased teammates out of the fear of him becoming sad again.

"Yes Kakashi"I replied back. I rub his cheeks as I wait for that damn slug to get here. The slug would heal him, and I could go fight Pain. I pull my hands away from rubbing his cheeks as I look at the blood that covered them. Blood. The one thing that when I saw it, I didn't fear it. but seeing Kakashi's blood has put a new meaning behind blood. A meaning of loss. I cannot deal with loss of more people I want to protect. That would mean I was to weak to save them.

"I w-wa-nt t-to s-sleep?"it sounded like a question, but I knew what he meant. No. I shook my head and clutched his vest, avoiding the black rod. I knew he wanted to sleep, but not now. Not when I had to protect him still. Not when I was starting to understand my feelings for him. I guess I had always known that I liked him in more then one way, but I was embarrassed by it. But it didn't matter anymore if he wanted to sleep.

"You can't sleep Kakashi. I love you...."I whisper to him. Sobs shook my body, and I tried to calm down. Why couldn't I calm down? I was starting to lose my breath, and my vision blurred. The nine tails was trying to take over again. I tried to calm myself don. I tried to get my emotions under control. But it didn't matter if he went to sleep. But I felt a cold hand touch my cheek. The hand of the man I loved. I leaned into the touch, and I knew I had won the battle of control against the nine tails.

"Sleep?"He asks once again. I shake my head at him, and say not yet. A small slug appears, and scoots its way on top of him. I let out another thanks to Kami for making sure he didn't sleep forever. I let go of Kakashi, and start to get up. But a hand reaches out to grab my leg. I look into his eyes, and I can see the happiness in them. He smiled a bit and tried to laugh. Instead, he coughed a little. I chuckled at the failed attempt, only because it meant he was alive.

"I love you too"