Chapter 1

"Why do you always lie about your whereabouts?" Mom yells. Oh no, they're fighting again.

"Mind your business. Does it matter? Charlotte already knows we're not together!" Dad yells back. Technically, I do know but Mom acts as if I'm deaf and have no idea that they can't stand each other. I sigh and leave the living room. I head towards their room.

"I hate you! I swear I hate you! If not for Charlotte, oooo I would have left your sorry ass a long damn time ago!" Mom shouts. She's probably pointing a finger in his face. I get closer to the bedroom, I feel the tension in the air and their voices get louder. As if they weren't loud before, dammit.

"I can't believe I ever loved you. I can't stand you! I wish you'd just drop dread!" Dad cries out in frustration. He's probably clenching his fists at his sides. I reach the doorway and just stand there watching them. They don't notice me, they practically never do.

"Why do you have to say that so loud! Charlotte is home and she can hear you stupid," pftt yeah no kidding,"Lower your voice! I should have never let you save me in that alley! I was committing suicide to get away from you! Did I ever tell you that Derek?" Mom lashes out. She made dramatic gestures the whole time. My body goes cold. Wait, what? Dad found Mom trying to commit suicide?

"No you didn't! That's all you do is ruin a man's life! Why don't you just go back to bouncing on Richard's-" Dad shouts, throwing his arms up in the air. I had to interject.

"DAD ! MOM ! PLEASE !" I plead with them to stop. They both look at me with crestfallen faces. Usually when they argue it doesn't get to the point where they bring up the past, I never would have thought that... Did they ever even really love each other in the first place? What about me? They swore they were in love once and now it's dead. They swear they love me but has that love gone out the window too? I can't even deny this thought.

"I'm going to go for a walk. Anything I should know before I go?" I ask softly. This is their chance to redeem their-selves. I don't know why I bother asking, they always look ashamed yet they make no effort to vindicate their actions. I sigh, tiredly and exit their room. When I'm a few steps from the front door, I hear Mom. I turn to face her just as her first few words come out.

"Honey our divorce was just finalized. We're both moving out and going our separate ways. Your Uncle will stay with you and watch over you. I'm so sorry Baby." Mom sobs out, her voice cracking at the end. She moves to hug me and I step back. I put up my hands, signaling for her not to touch me. She cries more and Dad appears.

"Babydoll please don't hate us. We need to do this. You'll be on your own soon and we just can't take each other anymore. We did all we did for you, for 16 years. Sorry we couldn't stick out the last 2. Please write us both and keep us updated. We really do love you Charlotte Marie." Dad says. He rubs my mother's back as she sobs in his arms. It amazes me how they fight, they bicker, scream and curse at each other but yet they're so gentle when the other is in need. How the fuck can they stand here in front of me and act like they don't have any problems at all? My shoulders immediately tense. I hate my name. I hate myself. Everything is part of them. Their war continues within me. It's why my emotions are so all over the fucking place. Why can't I get a break? I dash out the house, leaving them alone together. I run to the park and sit on my favorite bench. I bring my legs up and cry into my knees. I just let everything out. Everything I can't express verbally comes out in this very moment.

"Charlotte?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I look up to see Jasper, his face immediately drops once he sees my tear-stained face. He sits down quickly and hugs me, comforting me. I resume crying my heart out, this time into my hands.

"They got a divorce. They're leaving me. They don't love me. I hate them. It's all my fault." I croak out through tears. Jasper just hums a song, rubs my back and lets me cry. Soon enough I run out of water, feeling drained, I stop.