Chapter 29

Henry 

It's been a few days since everything happened. I've been locked in an interrogation room which also happens to be my holding cell. I've answered all their questions carefully and I'm being denied food, water and a phone call. Oh and 2 guards are in my room making sure I don't slip up.

I hope Charlotte's okay. I really need to get out of here, I'm starving and I want to see Charlotte. I hope she didn't get locked up too.

"Hey scumbag, you looking a little malnourished. Maybe you'll think about this the next time you kidnap a 16-year old girl." The older guard yells at me. I just roll my eyes. I've told them repeatedly that I'm a minor myself and that her father authorized for her to live with me. I've been told they're sweeping our apartment and trying to figure out how a 21 year old was allowed into a high school. The only problem is I'm not flipping 21.

"You really like them younger girls huh?"The older guard asks. 

"So wait, it does count that she's 3 months younger than me? Wait til she hears that." I smile. I might as well have fun while I'm in here. 

"You keep saying that, why?" The younger one asks.

"Jimmy don't talk to him, he'll corrupt you." The older guard warns.

"So then why are you talking to him?" Jimmy questions his guard friend.

"I'm already old, ain't nothing for me. We don't need you sympathizing with these criminals, it'll screw you up if you go through this job like that." The old guy, I'm gonna call him Timmy for my sake, tries to reason.

"You guys just locked this kid up based on the claims from a woman that was clearly already spiteful and racist. Let me just talk to the kid, this doesn't feel right." Jimmy says. Timmy just shrugs and sighs. 

"How old are you really?" Jimmy asks.

"I keep telling you guys I'm 16. I don't know how to prove it since I don't keep my birth certificate handy on me. Unless you guys have my wallet and have just been lying to me about it?" I inquire.

"There wasn't a wallet on you." Jimmy says then looks at Timmy who sighs and pulls a wallet out of his pocket. Jimmy's mouth drops open in shock. Timmy throws it and Jimmy catches it, opening it up and checking my driver's license to see that I am indeed 16 and not some 21 year old named Harold.

"Henry huh? Sorry kid but uh I'm letting you go." Jimmy says and then he un-cuffs me while Timmy starts to yell at him.

"Go home Henry, sorry about all this. Please don't think all cops are assholes." Jimmy says. 

"Nah, it's all good. You're letting me go, thanks but what got you thinking?" I ask Jimmy. Timmy storms out of the room while I rub my wrists where the handcuffs were starting to dig in.

"Well a girl came in a few times, she actually stayed here for 4 days straight to catch a glimpse of you. I spoke to her briefly and she didn't say her relationship to you but I could tell she cared for you and not in the 'he's all I know' type of way but in the 'touch him and I'll kill you' way. Plus she came with her Dad who had no problem putting up as much a fight as she did. I just couldn't figure out why they were trying to help you if you'd allegedly broke their family apart. I did a little digging and apparently the woman who had you arrested was only listened to cause she blackmailed the Captain." Jimmy admits.

"Wow thanks dude really uh I mean Sir." I say really shocked. 

Charlotte came for me? She stayed here for 4 days just to see me? I need to see her immediately.

"Well uh Jimmy, I think you can tell I have someone to go see. I'll find a way to repay you." I say to him. 

"Yeah uh Kid, do me a favor and ask out that girl will you? It's evident that you guys mean something to each other."Jimmy says and I smile.