25

have you all given up on this story after those long decades of no updates, i wonder.

note: probs filler.

You.

It was raining outside whilst I was in my room, probably somewhere around midnight. Levi and the commander were away again, sadly. Thoughts lurked into my mind, and I still couldn't comprehend a single thing that was going on. I gave up on sleeping two hours ago, and here I laid with my eyes wide open, in the middle of the dark. Lonely and confused as ever.

Fortunately, I had managed to retrieve my book from Levi's office. But I found that most of the pages were either blank, or missing. The entire object had so little information to provide in general. Or at least, I could only understand a few small bits and pieces because of the strange codes and writing that the author has used.

Thud.

Okay, what the frick was that?

I got up frantically, and looked around my room for any signs of unknown life. Honestly, I couldn't care any less that I was a fully grown girl, because idle things such as thunder, darkness, and sudden sounds in the night would still haunt me easily.

I creeped over the edge of my bed slowly and cautiously, only to find something- or someone, laying there. They appeared to be soaking wet, as if they just had rapidly ran around in the weather outside.

"Who's there?" I croaked.

"D-don't worry." I heard the heavy breathing of a familiar voice. "It's just me."

"Ai!" I yelped. "Wait, I thought you weren't real? Eh, wait, how are you here? I mean, no, more importantly, why?!"

"Shh, calm down, you'll wake the entire building."

I nodded, but was still perplexed, and awaited for her response. She got herself up, and sat on my bed beside me. She cleared her throat.

"I came here because I have something important that I need to tell you."

I gestured her to go on.

"Well, there's a dangerous ghoul that lives amongst the humans. Once he has his eye set on something, he will seice to stop until he achieves it. He is the exact definition of toxic, and I beg you not cross paths with him. Because. . ."

"Because what?" I tried not to quiver.

"He tried to kill me, and now he's after you."

"Can I know of his name?" I asked.

"If you must, then it's. . ."

She hesitated.

"His name is Jason."

"I see. . ." I said. "Then what do you reckon I do?"

"For the first time, I don't really know. But I'll do my best to keep him away." She hugged me tightly. "We've been separated for too long, and deep down, I can handle that."

===

I heard the gates of the HQ open, and pulled the covers higher in sheer fear. Ai had left me a while ago, and insisted she exit through my window.

Who could that be, I wondered.

Not too long after, Levi had swung my door open. He was wet from the rain, and he didn't really say anything upon seeing my presence.

"Are you alright, Levi?" I scurried over to him.

"I'm just really cold." He mumbled.

"Hey, it's alright. I got you" I led him to my bed, and went to get him some clothes to change into.

*Time Skip*

I saw the commander sipping on tea while being deep in thought. I decided to inquire him of what has occured.

"Is something the matter, commander Erwin?"

"Ah, miss [l/n]." His eyes met with mine. "I believe this is not the right time to be explaining things to you. I hope you may understand."

I frowned, but tried not to be pushy.

"Could you at least tell me what's wrong with Levi?"

"He's just like that. Whenever we have to go out to handle the fundamental issues of the Survey Corps, or attend to a conference meeting with the higher-ups, he tends to dislike it."

"I can apprehend that, but he's usually so stoic and grumpy, and now he's just really dull and depressed." I pointed out.

The commander scavenged for the right words. "Well, just like everyone, he has his own breaking points too. He can handle so much until he falls apart again. This happens from time to time. And if he can easily reveal his stressed side to you, then you must be very special to him."

"Will he be alright?"

"He can manage, but I'm really getting worried for him these days. I know you mean a big deal to him, so please try to help him. He won't admit, but on his own he's just lost and miserable."

I nodded and thanked him before taking my leave.

*Time Skip Again*

I closed the door behind me, and attended to the drowsy captain. He was in a sleeping state, and I didn't dare to wake him. Although I wouldn't be able to stand having him sick either.

"Levi, I have your clothes. You should change."

He groggily fluttered his eyes open. He got himself up into a sitting position, and rubbed his eyes. After grabbing the clothes, he walked into the bathroom to change.

-

I laid on my side as I glanced at Levi's face. His expression showed so much sorrow, and it shattered my heart.

I reached out my hand to put a strand of hair behind his ear.

"I love you." He mumbled. I was taken aback a little, since I didn't expect him to say that at such a moment.

"I love you too, Levi." I said.