26

alright im back

Third Person

Levi was never the one to show emotions. Hiding himself from the world was common for him, as he had done so since the first moment he was able to talk. He found no need in doing so either, to be frank. However, he always yearned to open up to [f/n], and [f/n] only. She had no idea, though. And that saddened him to an extent.

[f/n] on the other hand, only wished to further discover herself. She didn't understand how everything led up to the moment she was taken in by the Survey Corps. Life was a big mystery for her, and all she had was so little of what the world had to offer. It was frustrating, to the point that it was killing her little by little on the inside.

No matter how, the two had always ended up to be tangled in eachother's messes. First it was the underground, and then in the midst of risking their lives for the sake of humanity.

Levi secretly knew about what was going on in [f/n]'s life, but he also knew that he had no rights to interfere. He had to leave it all for the girl to find out. While [f/n] could only examine him, trying to figure out the missing puzzle pieces. It always made him feel like he was on the superior part because of it, but he knew that between them, they were simply equals.

This specific day was laying itself out normally as any, but Levi had a strong feeling inside of him, that was simply screaming at him that something ominous was about to take place. He tried to distance himself from the others, to let himself think through the current events, and figure out what had made him feel like something was out of place. Not to mention, he was exhausted. The paperwork, the conference meetings, and all of the work that needed to be done had been taking a toll on him. He was stressed.

A knock was heard behind his door.

Levi sighed, and was almost expecting the [h/c] female to come and check on him after his unusual absence.

"Levi?" Her silky voice came after the small gap of silence.

"What is your bussiness here, cadet?" He asked hoarsely.

"That's not funny, Levi. Are you okay?" She asked. "I heard you were feeling down, lately."

He wasn't sure if he wanted to respond to her question. But a part of him wanted her company. He wanted to see her face, and to hear her sweet calm voice to ease him. He couldn't tell her that, however.

"Come in."

She gently opened the door, and walked in. Her eyes scanned over Levi's, trying to find any kind of emotion. Obviously, nothing. She knew something had been troubling him. But knowing Levi, it would be nearly impossible to receive an honest answer from the man.

"Do you need anything? I'm always here for you, you know."

"I know." He replied instantly. His eyes were focused on the wall behind her. The previous feeling was still tugging on him, telling him that he shouldn't be oblivious. Of what of course, he couldn't know. Or at least, not at the moment. Not until a disaster plays out.

"Well, I just wanted to inform you that I'm going to town. . . With Eren." She hesitated to say his name, as it rolled off her tongue a bit dryly.

Levi bolted up immideately, and wondered if this was what his heart was warning him about.

No, it couldn't be.

He knew the brat wouldn't be up to anything funny around [f/n], and even if he was, she could easily protect herself with one way or another. What could possibly go wrong?

"You could come, if you wish." She added.

"No, I'd rather stay here, actually." He said.

She was slightly disappointed. But Levi's current state was something she should be able to tolerate.

"Alright, take care." She said before turning around to close the door behind her.

"Wait, [f/n]." He swiftly called out to her.

"Yes?"

He gazed at her features one last time, before saying, "Be safe."

She nodded, assuring him she'll be alright. Then left him to be all on his own again.

Another pang slammed against his heart painfully. He wanted to groan, and scream out at the world to tell him what was bothering him so much.

He didn't have a clue. And he wanted one so badly.

===

"Is everything okay with the captain?" Eren asked.

[f/n]'s eyes dropped at the question. What was she supposed to say when she didn't know the answer herself?

"He's fine, I suppose." She lied. She knew very well that for a fact, Levi was crumbling apart, and none of her efforts could change that.

"Don't worry about him too much, he'll be okay."

She coped with the statement, and didn't let her mind to be wrapped around it too much. And lo, the two were off to town.

-

[f/n] accompanied her friend into a store. She wasn't sure what Eren was looking for, but she couldn't really care, considering her attention would constantly return to the captain. She was in a predicament, really. Unsure of her situation, and her most likely lowkey relationship with the ebony-haired man.

"Hey, earth to [f/n]." Her mind came to a halt at the sound of the friendly voice.

She let her eyes fixate around the person standing before her; waving his hand for her to snap out of her daze.

"Kaneki? What are you doing here?" She smiled at him.

He shrugged innocently. Before he could even properly provide an answer to her simple question, Eren butted into the conversation between the two.

"Who's this, [f/n]?" He questioned- a little protectively.

"Kaneki Ken," He lured out his hand towards the brunette boy. "Nice to meet you, um. . . [f/n]'s. . . Boyfriend?"

Eren laughed at his statement, "No, you got it all wrong. I'm just her friend."

Kaneki blinked in confusion, and then offered a warm smile, nevertheless. Soon after, the two males had engaged into deep conversation, and [f/n] thought to herself, boy, they'd make good friends.

At the end, Eren and [f/n] bid the white-haired boy farewell, and were about to return to the HQ, until Kaneki had pulled her closer, without any warning.

"K-Kaneki?" [f/n] was baffled by his sudden actions.

"Ai told you everything last night, didn't she?" His usually sweet and welcoming voice was now replaced by a dangerously serious one, that was almost frightening to say the least.

[f/n] gulped, her mind trying to digest the newly found information. Who was Kaneki Ken? How could he have possibly known about Ai, and more importantly, what she told [f/n] the other night?

"Why do you ask?" She cocked an eyebrow, attempting to hide her shock and utter confusion.

"Listen, I'm sure that you've heard of Jason, right?" He whispered cautiously. Careful not to be too loud. "I'm sure you've also heard of what he's after."

"How come you know all of this?" She asked, averting topics, wanting to stay on the safe side.

"The answer to that is simple, my dear."

"Enlighten me."

He was silent for a brief moment, before parting his lips to reveal the answer.

"I'm also the brother that Ai has told you about."