34

another a-few-months-later update, this one i wrote at 3 am, resulting in a slightly sloppy vibe in my writing that i hope doesnt affect what i was trying to tell through this chapter

. . .

What was going to happen now?

The same question repeated over and over again in your head, ringing out like a taunting chant, luring you into the piteous grasp of death itself. And yet none of it felt as piercing as your knowledge of the pain you inflicted upon the others, the same thoughts etched in their minds, a thought you had also spent the time to dwell on.

And again, the question returned, only to fade once more after your companion's voice rung out, a little raspy after getting used to staying silent.

"Will you be okay?" Levi asked, escorting you out of the carriage. "Make sure you don't sputter anything suspicious."

"I'll handle myself." You quickly said, attempting to hold your balance on your own. Failing, of course, causing Levi the need to rush to your side before you fell against the floor. "I'm fine, please."

He glared at you softly-- and it wasn't exactly one of his usual annoyance issues, it was more of concern. Concern for you, and how the fuck things were supposed to work out now. It just felt unbearable to even think about sometimes, how hard all of this was, the life you both were living in. It was unbearable to even think about you, and for no other reason but; the way you hid so much, and shied away. Things you've kept away, which he had grown all of the amount of patience that he could to prevent from forcing them out. Mostly, though, it was how you were here, now and then, recklessly risking your life for no reason at all, as if your life was something to play with.

"Tell me then, the moment that trial starts, how can I expect you not to mess things up?"

"By believing that I won't."

. . .

One thing that you had realized, was how utterly meaningless some words were capable of being. Sentences of assurance, in your case. You wanted to snort at yourself, slam your frail and limping body against a wall, scream, do anything, completely anything, just to tug those five meaningless words back down your mouth. How could you, you, whom had so little trust in yourself, be capable enough of having the audacity to tell such an obvious lie? Who was it that you were trying to fool just when you knew, the moment I am to be adjudicated, there is no hope left. And that was all it took, for your downfall.

"(y/n) (l/n), of the Survey Corps, hereby as accused by witnesses, to have held the ability to develop an unhumanly form, neither titan nor man, but that of similiar to a demon descendant. Reported to have been sighted exiting the unoccupied building on Baker Street, by a group of men passing nearby. Now, it is my right to ask, if all of this is true?"

You heard a series of gasps emit around the air.

This was it. Now was the time for you to end it all, and it was simply a matter of how. And in your moment of despair and utter loss for words, your first reaction was to shift your gaze to Levi, just a bit. No, he shook his head.

"I reject these statements." You said.

"Very well then, and by what evidence?"

Your breath nearly hitched, as this wasn't such a simple question to which you could rely on Levi for a plain 'yes' or 'no' response. Again, you looked at him for help. Strangely, his overall demeanour remained calm, unlike what you had expected. His eyes, specifically, stared back at you without a single look of worry. As if he trusted you enough to reply on your own, and somehow beyond anything, it made you feel like you could do anything.