35

Things were getting terribly chaotic, and in a matter of such little time. There was very little chance of changing the judge's mind by now, as everyone had already been convinced that you were a Ghoul.

Maybe this could have even been your last moment to even so much as steal a glance at your lover; an opportunity which you hastily took. "Help me," You mouthed, frustrated and helplessly on the verge of hopelessness. Nobody, wanted to listen to you, neither to what your superiors had to say. It was Erwin's turn now, he was speaking very boldly, trying his best to convince the opponent, as you could clearly tell.

Levi in particular seemed to be deep in thought, as if contemplating on an alternate path to take-- whatever that was.

Everything will be okay.

Said a familiar voice, barely a whisper, in fact somewhat close to inaudible. But you still managed to catch it between the voices around you, and the unsteady pounding of your piteous heart. 

"Ai?" You tried to say as low as possible.

Nothing. Just as fast as it came, it dissapeared again. As if it was never there, or someone was playing an unfunny joke on you. Either that, or it was just a matter of convincing yourself that you were ever so slowly beginning to fall into the grasps of insanity. 

But you didn't have much time left, so there was only one way to find out. You gritted your teeth, and a while later let out an unhappy sigh.

"Ai! Stop messing around!" You whispered.

Nothing again. So you eventually let it go, deciding it was just a result of a stress reaction.

He'd never wish to genuinely harm you, so please, bare with it. Just a little.

You gasped at the sound of the voice, a little louder this time, yet with a meaning entirely incoherent to your ears. Who was he, and what kind of harm? Nothing seemed to make sense.

You looked up to suddenly find Levi standing a few feet ahead of you, his back facing towards you, whilst talking aloud for everyone to hear.

"You cowards, wanting to kill off anything that comes off as a threat. Must I remind your shitty brains about Yeager?" His eyes glarred at the opposing jury, "All of you, have seen how weak he had been under me, have you not? He was a Titan shifter, and yet she. . ."

This time he had looked at you, the look in his eyes never once faltering. And it made your spine shiver, not knowing if the emotion in them was faked or genuine.

"If what you claim is true, that this weak and small girl, is a deathly monster, then I insist all of you reconsider. . ." He paused. "Unless there is the need for me to bring her to a bloody pulp? Is that what sick bastards like you want to see?"

The word weak rung out in your ears for a while, like a shard of ice piercing into your body. Cold, and unbearable. That was the only way to put how Levi was capable of making you feel with his words right now. You just wanted it to stop.

The crowd was silent for a while, up until a man stoop up, and albeit a little intimidated by Levi's demeanor, still had the courage to speak up on all of his side, "How can we tell for sure that she is not dangerous?"

"Heh," Levi spat. "Idiots like you never learn."

He glanced at you, beginning to stride over towards your direction. 

No, stop. Don't do this, please. You wanted to scream those words out loud, but knew that if you wanted to survive the trial, then you'd have to survive a little of the torture that was inching closer with every heartbeat.

The look on his eyes seemed to faintly scream a meaningless apology, before going back to his usual cold facade. Out of his pocket, was pulled out what you believed was a pocket knife.

As the pointed end neared closer and closer towards you, you shut your eyes tight, and bit your lip. A few moments of silence commenced, until a few drops of blood trickled down the floor, and everyone had been taken aback. You quickly shot your eyes open, to find that Levi's hand was bleeding. A gasp emitted out of your lips, as your eyes gazed at his wounded skin in horror.

"W-what are you doing, Corporal?" A man shot up in dreadful shock. 

"If she really is a beastly demon, surely she would be easily lured out of that disguise, as you've claimed, by the smell of blood. Am I correct?" He mused.

The man was taken aback, clearly by this strange scenario that he had not expected. "Yes-- but!"

He shut up once Levi began nearing his palm towards your face. It felt disgusting, this ghastly way that he was trying to convince everyone by making you appear to be utterly pathetic. As if you were something he had the right to play around with at his heart's content. 

As his palm was barely an inch from your nose, you could only attempt to fight the sweet smell that was filling up your senses. Did Levi expect that it was just as easy for you to play along with your part as it was for him? He was practically teasing you, forcing you to test your ability at shuting down your natural instincts. 

"I'm sorry, it's just a little more." Levi managed to whisper once he was close enough. You stayed silent, refusing to reply to this uncaring attitude towards you. As it was slowly descending into what you could've labeled as going too far.

His idle sentence was useless in itself. Just a little more of what? Fighting the urge to snap back at the smell of blood, and reveal to everyone that you really were, as they had suspected, a Ghoul? If so, he was completely talented at running his damn mouth.

Even so, it hurt you a little to see how distraught he appeared after your lack of a reply. 

"Is that enough of evidence?" He spat with a glare. Everyone seemed skeptical.

"With all due respect, I believe we need. . . A little more proof, to confirm your claim to be true. Unless so, there are still many other factors to aid for the opposite." 

Levi eyed them in disbelief, breath growing unsteady out of anger. They were making him do this, and he was hating every single fucking second of it. It was just as much of torture for him as it was for you. 

But even so, his options were running thin, and only one appeared to be plausible at this point.

"Oi, you, Ghoul expert," He rudely shot at the man possesing your book, who hadn't spoken up that much during the trial. "What do you reckon would happen if I attempt to hurt her?"

He had a smooth voice, and sounded to have had a high level of education. Traits that you have only noticed now. "Well, generally to speak, if she is a Ghoul, then her primary instinct would be to fight back. Wouldn't be a wise choice, Corporal."

And all of a sudden, everything had clicked in your head, what Ai was trying to say. It made your breath hitch, as you felt as if you were merely minutes from a heart attack.

He'd never wish to genuinely harm you, so please, bare with it. Just a little.  

How long was a little going to last?

You'd wish someone could tell you. But it was all silent in your head. And just the thought of those hands that you've grown to adore, the thought of them now hurting you, it carved all of those unwanted memories in your head, reminded you of a man all too another, it was mostly beyond anything that made you wish you'd rather die before such a moment ever comes.