29

Third Person

Most of the Survey Corps soldiers were on standby, not too close to the building where [f/n] was being held captive. A plan was already constructed, and now all they needed was some time.

Levi, was the one who wanted to save her the most, of all people.

"Be mine."

He asked her merely two days ago.

"I-- I don't know what to say."

Was her reply.

"Be honest with me."

"I can barely be honest with myself, frankly. Can we just. . . Please keep it the same?" She bit on her lip, blushing furiously. "I don't think I'm ready for love. I'm sorry."

She didn't expect him to smile after her response, although it was a bit forced and in pain. "That's alright. I'm sorry, I'm not so good when it comes to these kinds of things."

"Yeah. Me neither." Her eyes were so beautiful when they made contact with his, he thought. "This has to do with something from the past, doesn't it? Is that. . . Why you need me to remember?"

If only she could remember.

If only, Levi wished.

"Midget," Kaneki's voice was sharp as hell. "I trusted you."

Levi knew he was at fault. He knew he had no say in this conversation to defend himself. Breaking promises became something that was nearly impossible to avoid for the captain. But of course, in such a world, it was common.

"I thought I could trust you." He spat. "And here you don't even have the wits to apologize?"

"You wouldn't forgive me, that I'm well aware of. But you're not the only one hurting as of now."

Kaneki dropped his facade, and sighed in defeat. Ai and [f/n] were his last family members- not through bloodline of course, since he sorta took them in after his mother died (or it was that he had no choice but to do so, really), yet he was glad to take them in during those many years ago nevertheless, and to go so much as to vow he'd always try to be a good brother and keep them safe. Yet here he was now, and he couldn't even keep his own promise, being obnoxious enough to be pointing fingers at someone else, who might have more or less, felt the same way as he was at the current moment. He had already lost both his parents, his best friend, and now his two remaining sisters. Perhaps getting furious over Levi's mistake would not be the best choice. After all, Kaneki was barely even there for [f/n] ever since she left the underground.

"Shut up." He draped his arm around the captain. Instead of resulting with a furious Levi, he was left with a dumbfounded one.

"What?" Levi let out.

"Yeah, I'm still mad at you." He said. "But at least you're not the only who fucked up."

===

You

"I've had it." Ai let out. I had no acknowledgment of her sort of remaining to exist inside my head up until she spoke. But at least, I had not lost my sanity, and was able to establish a few things. First, it occured to me that the very sole purpose of the simplistic math equations opposed onto me was to prevent me from losing my grasp on reality, and as well as my mind. It bothered me not to understand why I was here. It bothered me not to be aware of what would happen next.

"And you're just going to sit there?"

I channeled my thoughts away, and replied to her question, "Eventually, they'll come for me."

"Ah, I see, so now you're just living inside of your little fantasy concept that sooner or later, this is going to come to an end, is that it?" She grabbed my two shoulders. "You're just assuming that you're a damsel in distress, waiting for Levi and all of those other dorks to be your saviors from this hell? That? Is that what you think this is?"

"Well, guess what, [f/n]? You're not a damsel. You're not even in distress. You're just too oblivious. Save yourself out of this."

She sighed, and loosened her grip. "Sometimes, you need to let go of your dependence. You don't have to sit still and wait for someone to reach out. Because sometimes, you have to reach for yourself."

But of course, she had a point. I might just have been to naive and hopeless to accept it.

"Come on, where's the [f/n] that never gave in to the hands of her enemies? The one that would fucking fight for anything?"

"I--" My mind was unable to retrieve a proper answer to her crucial statements.

Ai looked away, muttering a few last words before my surroundings dissapeared, indicating that I was about to awake and receive more torture from Yamori.

"You've grown soft, [f/n]."